Simple DAV server?

robert

For testing purposes I'm looking for a simple DAV server - best a python
thing serving a folder tree. Don't want to install/change/setup the
complex apache dav ..

Found PyDav http://www.econetwork.net/~jdavis/Software/PyDAV/readme.html,
but the package is old and (crucial) webdav.ini.template is missing in
that package.

Found "python davserver" http://www.comlounge.net/webdav/ ,
but it doesn't run. It uses xml libs which are not anymore in recent
python's.

Is there something else? Or a (non-py) binary simple to set it up.

robert

Kyler Laird

robert said:
For testing purposes I'm looking for a simple DAV server - best a python
thing serving a folder tree. Don't want to install/change/setup the
complex apache dav ..

I'm avoiding Apache for this too.

Today I've been working on PanDAV.
http://ivoras.sharanet.org/projects/pandav.html
(Thank, Ivan!)

I added the ability to create and delete collections (directories),
delete members (files), authenticate users, and run per-user setuid/
setgid. It works well with Cadaver but I'm waiting for some MS users
to report how it works under Windows.

The only thing on my list right now is to make it report the times for
collections (directories). Already it's looking like a nice solution
for my needs. And it was *so* much easier to hack than Apache.

--kyler

Ivan Voras

robert said:
thanks, that's exactly to the point:

python server.py 8080 mydavrootfolder

Thanks for the patch, I assume it's free to incorporate it into the
original archive?

Also, see my reply to "Kyler Laird"...

Ivan Voras

Kyler said:
I added the ability to create and delete collections (directories),
delete members (files), authenticate users, and run per-user setuid/
setgid. It works well with Cadaver but I'm waiting for some MS users
to report how it works under Windows.

The only thing on my list right now is to make it report the times for
collections (directories). Already it's looking like a nice solution
for my needs. And it was *so* much easier to hack than Apache.

Thank you for such a nice response :)

If you or anybory else (robert?) is interested, I can set up a
SourceForge project for it so patches & contribution can be easily managed?

robert

Ivan said:
Thanks for the patch, I assume it's free to incorporate it into the
original archive?

yes, of course
Also, see my reply to "Kyler Laird"...

maybe thats a good idea to put it on sf.net to boil out all bugs.
Yet I like it in that simple default manner, maybe switch on those
additional creation functions with commandline switches (or config class
instance passed to run..(config=None) )

robert

Ivan Voras

robert said:
maybe thats a good idea to put it on sf.net to boil out all bugs.
Yet I like it in that simple default manner, maybe switch on those
additional creation functions with commandline switches (or config class
instance passed to run..(config=None) )

I'm thinking of making a small separation between the actual WebDAV
server (server.py) and the library/libraries that do the actual protocol
(davserver.py & fsdav.py). This way, we can still have a simple server
(server.py), libraries with new features, and possibly an advanced
server (possibly called server_advanced.py or something like that) that
can use all those new features.

I'll submit a project request, and will post here when it's processed,
so stay tuned :)

If you don't have it already, you can open a SourceForge.net account now...

robert

Ivan said:
I'm thinking of making a small separation between the actual WebDAV
server (server.py) and the library/libraries that do the actual protocol
(davserver.py & fsdav.py). This way, we can still have a simple server
(server.py), libraries with new features, and possibly an advanced
server (possibly called server_advanced.py or something like that) that
can use all those new features.

I'll submit a project request, and will post here when it's processed,
so stay tuned :)

Hello,

what is the current status of Pandav?

KL wrote, he added some more capabs. I'd need MOVE and saw PUT has bugs
to also not respect URL-quoted folders/elements (with spaces, utf-8 etc.)

Wanted to ask to not double things?

-robert

Kyler Laird

robert said:
KL wrote, he added some more capabs. I'd need MOVE and saw PUT has bugs
to also not respect URL-quoted folders/elements (with spaces, utf-8 etc.)

I've got MOVE working and I took care of the percent-escaped filenames but
UTF-8 stuff is still giving me problems. (I've been testing with Litmus.)
I don't recommend it but here's a preview of my simple additions.
http://lairds.us/temp/Pandav.tar.bz2

Ivan's been working on a problem I've been experiencing with Windows XP
("failure to launch"). He sent a new version my way today. I'm going
to test it tomorrow when I've got some XP users available. If it works
I'm going to work on putting my changes into a subclass.

I don't see this being a full-featured fully-compliant DAV server
immediately but I'm betting that it will provide adequate service for my
users soon.

--kyler

Ivan Voras

Kyler said:
Ivan's been working on a problem I've been experiencing with Windows XP
("failure to launch"). He sent a new version my way today. I'm going
to test it tomorrow when I've got some XP users available. If it works
I'm going to work on putting my changes into a subclass.

I don't see this being a full-featured fully-compliant DAV server
immediately but I'm betting that it will provide adequate service for my
users soon.

Most of the problems are probably because I didn't mean it to be a
fully-compliant WebDAV server, but to serve my need at the time :)

I'm still waiting for SourceForge to approve the project so there's a
proper place to integrate all the patches. One thing I insist on is the
separation of davserver and fsdav (e.g. no contamination of knowledge
between the two).

robert

Ivan said:
Most of the problems are probably because I didn't mean it to be a
fully-compliant WebDAV server, but to serve my need at the time :)

I'm still waiting for SourceForge to approve the project so there's a
proper place to integrate all the patches. One thing I insist on is the
separation of davserver and fsdav (e.g. no contamination of knowledge
between the two).

I tried a little with that last package from KL (MOVE). Added the
missing urllib.unquote's and sorted few other problems. ok.

I now also need PROPPATCH / arbitrary properties. Windows for example
stores (original) file time stamps in such properties.
Started writing on that, yet not complete - little complex. Properties
to go to a ".##dav" folder (copied and moved together with the objects
with COPY/MOVE).

-robert

Kyler Laird

Ivan Voras said:
Most of the problems are probably because I didn't mean it to be a
fully-compliant WebDAV server, but to serve my need at the time :)

I am *so* close to having a WebDAV solution. Unfortunately when I finally
moved to using HTTPS, it all broke in MS Windows. (Konqueror handles it
beautifully.)

If I make a Web Folder with HTTP, Windows displays it (as "\\hostname\")
in Windows Explorer. If I make it with HTTPS, it throws me into Internet
Explorer (where WebDAV isn't used - I can't even launch files).

WTF?! It looks like other people are using WebDAV over HTTPS.
http://www.mydocsonline.com/info_webfolders.html
Why is Windows kicking me into IE for HTTPS???

(I'm tired and frustrated. I hate being forced to deal with proprietary
software.)

--kyler

robert

Kyler said:
I am *so* close to having a WebDAV solution. Unfortunately when I finally
moved to using HTTPS, it all broke in MS Windows. (Konqueror handles it
beautifully.)

If I make a Web Folder with HTTP, Windows displays it (as "\\hostname\")
in Windows Explorer. If I make it with HTTPS, it throws me into Internet
Explorer (where WebDAV isn't used - I can't even launch files).

WTF?! It looks like other people are using WebDAV over HTTPS.
http://www.mydocsonline.com/info_webfolders.html
Why is Windows kicking me into IE for HTTPS???

(I'm tired and frustrated. I hate being forced to deal with proprietary
software.)

The Windows Web Folder mapping service is also "proprietary" : MS
It can't handle HTTPS in XP so far.

That HTTPS example on this page is from a Mac.

-robert

fuzzylollipop

webfolders is broken, I have worked on webdav support at the isp level
( for millions of customers to use ) webfolders is NOT something you
should base compliancey on. It is broken so badly that we decided to
just not even test against it. We provide our customers with our own
application with which to map drive letters to mount webdav our webdav
store so we don't have to even worry about Web Folders not working.