simple examples needed with sql2000, asp.net, visual basic

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Ryan McBride, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. Ryan McBride

    Ryan McBride Guest

    Once again at my wonderful job i've been given the task of "come teach your
    fellow idiot coworkers the skills you have"

    I write software for a company in chicago. I use visual basic on asp.net
    type platform.

    Recently i learned a little bit on database access and would like to knw
    more so that i can pass along the knowledge to my coworkers who do not
    possess this information. the trouble is that my code is very sloppy and
    I'm not sure where to start, so i'm asking for help.

    What i need is a set of very simple examples on how to perform simple tasks.

    I use Internet Explorer 5 or 6 on all workstations running windows 2000
    professional or windows xp professional, Windows 2000 server, Microsoft IIS
    5.0, Microsoft SQL 2000 (which i'm very fluent in), ASP.NET 2.0

    I need code examples using Visual Basic only (other languages are a nono to
    our corporate office) which will do the following:

    1) read data from a database table with and without joins
    2) write new records into a database table
    3) update a single record from a database table
    4) delete records from a database table

    i've been asked to put together a detailed seminar/presentation on this and
    if i have some well written code then i think it would greatly help.

    thanks in advance.

    Ryan McBride

    Ryan McBride, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Ryan McBride

    TJS Guest

    there's a couple of examples here:

    http://www.asp.net/Tutorials/quickstart.aspx

    --
    ================================
    http://www.ASPkey.net/

    TJS, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Ryan McBride

    Marc Rivait Guest

    In addition to this, let me add that MS has published some best practises
    and application blocks @
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/practices/about.asp

    Specifically to your question, the Data Access Application Block Overview
    which can be found at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/daab-rm.asp
    is well worth a look. It implements some helper classes which definately
    make life a little easier.

    Regards,
    Marc.

    Marc Rivait, Dec 14, 2003