simple GUI for my application?

Filipe Teixeira

Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
application.

I'm doing a program to load all the ini files in the current folder,
or the folder that the user chooses and list the specifics entries in
it.

So, the program would be like this:

Som tabs here like:
( Load | Edit | Options)

In the [ Load ] tab:
A folder tree in the left, and two labels or edit boxes showing some
specific entries in the ini file.

In the [ Edit ] tab:
really straight-forward, Edit boxes of the entries so the user can
edit

in the [ options ] tab:
More edits to specifie the default folder, etc.

Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?

Stef Mientki

Filipe said:
Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
application.

I'm doing a program to load all the ini files in the current folder,
or the folder that the user chooses and list the specifics entries in
it.

So, the program would be like this:

Som tabs here like:
( Load | Edit | Options)

In the [ Load ] tab:
A folder tree in the left, and two labels or edit boxes showing some
specific entries in the ini file.

In the [ Edit ] tab:
really straight-forward, Edit boxes of the entries so the user can
edit

in the [ options ] tab:
More edits to specifie the default folder, etc.

Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?
mayby this will do:
http://mientki.ruhosting.nl/data_www/pylab_works/pw_gui_support.html

cheers,
Stef

Mike Driscoll

Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
application.

I'm doing a program to load all the ini files in the current folder,
or the folder that the user chooses and list the specifics entries in
it.

So, the program would be like this:

Som tabs here like:
( Load | Edit | Options)

In the [ Load ] tab:
A folder tree in the left, and two labels or edit boxes showing some
specific entries in the ini file.

In the [ Edit ] tab:
really straight-forward, Edit boxes of the entries so the user can
edit

in the [ options ] tab:
More edits to specifie the default folder, etc.

Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?

wxPython has all the widgets you've described built into it. They also
have a very helpful mailing list. However, you should try the various
toolkits and see which one makes the most sense to you.

When I was first looking at GUIs, I tried Tkinter first. But it just
couldn't replicate the stupid UIs I needed to reimplement, so I went
with wxPython. I've heard good things about pyQT. If you want the
ultimate look-and-feel for Windows, you should go with IronPython.

- Mike

Tim Harig

Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
application. [SNIP]
Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?
When I was first looking at GUIs, I tried Tkinter first. But it just
ultimate look-and-feel for Windows, you should go with IronPython.

IronPython is not a GUI toolkit per se. It is a python implementation
build on top of .Net like Jython is built on top of Java. I therefore has
access to the MFCs which can be used to create native Windows GUIs. This
can also be done from Cpython using the pywin extensions.

Mike Driscoll

Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
application. [SNIP]
Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?
When I was first looking at GUIs, I tried Tkinter first. But it just
ultimate look-and-feel for Windows, you should go with IronPython.

IronPython is not a GUI toolkit per se.  It is a python implementation
build on top of .Net like Jython is built on top of Java.  I therefore has
access to the MFCs which can be used to create native Windows GUIs.  This
can also be done from Cpython using the pywin extensions.

That is true...I was just referring to IronPython's ability to hook a
GUI created using Visual Studio easily. Going about it through pywin
and ctypes is probably above the OP's current needs...although I think
Greg Ewing's pyGUI wraps that stuff. I suppose the OP might find that
useful:

http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python_gui/

- Mike