simple GUI for my application?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Filipe Teixeira, Jun 16, 2009.

  1. Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
    application.

    I'm doing a program to load all the ini files in the current folder,
    or the folder that the user chooses and list the specifics entries in
    it.

    So, the program would be like this:

    Som tabs here like:
    ( Load | Edit | Options)

    In the [ Load ] tab:
    A folder tree in the left, and two labels or edit boxes showing some
    specific entries in the ini file.

    In the [ Edit ] tab:
    really straight-forward, Edit boxes of the entries so the user can
    edit

    in the [ options ] tab:
    More edits to specifie the default folder, etc.

    Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
    tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?

    Filipe Teixeira, Jun 16, 2009

  2. Filipe Teixeira

    Tim Harig Guest

    Tim Harig, Jun 16, 2009

  3. Filipe Teixeira

    Stef Mientki Guest

    Filipe Teixeira wrote:
    > Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
    > application.
    >
    > I'm doing a program to load all the ini files in the current folder,
    > or the folder that the user chooses and list the specifics entries in
    > it.
    >
    > So, the program would be like this:
    >
    > Som tabs here like:
    > ( Load | Edit | Options)
    >
    > In the [ Load ] tab:
    > A folder tree in the left, and two labels or edit boxes showing some
    > specific entries in the ini file.
    >
    > In the [ Edit ] tab:
    > really straight-forward, Edit boxes of the entries so the user can
    > edit
    >
    > in the [ options ] tab:
    > More edits to specifie the default folder, etc.
    >
    > Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
    > tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?

    mayby this will do:
    http://mientki.ruhosting.nl/data_www/pylab_works/pw_gui_support.html

    cheers,
    Stef

    Stef Mientki, Jun 16, 2009
  4. Filipe Teixeira

    Tobias Weber Guest

    In article <_VNZl.32463$>,
    Tim Harig <> wrote:

    > http://www.python.org/doc/faq/gui/

    Indeed.

    If the program just edits .ini files it's probably Windows only. In that
    case I wouldn't go for a platform-independet toolkit, because they all
    suck. Especially wx.

    --
    Tobias Weber

    Tobias Weber, Jun 16, 2009
  5. On Jun 16, 9:20 am, Filipe Teixeira <> wrote:
    > Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
    > application.
    >
    > I'm doing a program to load all the ini files in the current folder,
    > or the folder that the user chooses and list the specifics entries in
    > it.
    >
    > So, the program would be like this:
    >
    > Som tabs here like:
    > ( Load | Edit | Options)
    >
    > In the [ Load ] tab:
    > A folder tree in the left, and two labels or edit boxes showing some
    > specific entries in the ini file.
    >
    > In the [ Edit ] tab:
    > really straight-forward, Edit boxes of the entries so the user can
    > edit
    >
    > in the [ options ] tab:
    > More edits to specifie the default folder, etc.
    >
    > Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
    > tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?

    wxPython has all the widgets you've described built into it. They also
    have a very helpful mailing list. However, you should try the various
    toolkits and see which one makes the most sense to you.

    When I was first looking at GUIs, I tried Tkinter first. But it just
    couldn't replicate the stupid UIs I needed to reimplement, so I went
    with wxPython. I've heard good things about pyQT. If you want the
    ultimate look-and-feel for Windows, you should go with IronPython.

    - Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Jun 16, 2009
  6. Filipe Teixeira

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2009-06-16, Mike Driscoll <> wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 9:20 am, Filipe Teixeira <> wrote:
    >> Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
    >> application.

    [SNIP]
    >> Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
    >> tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?

    > When I was first looking at GUIs, I tried Tkinter first. But it just
    > ultimate look-and-feel for Windows, you should go with IronPython.

    IronPython is not a GUI toolkit per se. It is a python implementation
    build on top of .Net like Jython is built on top of Java. I therefore has
    access to the MFCs which can be used to create native Windows GUIs. This
    can also be done from Cpython using the pywin extensions.

    Tim Harig, Jun 16, 2009
  7. On Jun 16, 1:24 pm, Tim Harig <> wrote:
    > On 2009-06-16, Mike Driscoll <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Jun 16, 9:20 am, Filipe Teixeira <> wrote:
    > >> Hi, I'm really struggling to find the best GUI to make a simple
    > >> application.

    > [SNIP]
    > >> Basically I will use a lot of edit boxes and some tabs, and a folder
    > >> tree, any tips so I can search in the right place?

    > > When I was first looking at GUIs, I tried Tkinter first. But it just
    > > ultimate look-and-feel for Windows, you should go with IronPython.

    > IronPython is not a GUI toolkit per se.  It is a python implementation
    > build on top of .Net like Jython is built on top of Java.  I therefore has
    > access to the MFCs which can be used to create native Windows GUIs.  This
    > can also be done from Cpython using the pywin extensions.

    That is true...I was just referring to IronPython's ability to hook a
    GUI created using Visual Studio easily. Going about it through pywin
    and ctypes is probably above the OP's current needs...although I think
    Greg Ewing's pyGUI wraps that stuff. I suppose the OP might find that
    useful:

    http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/greg.ewing/python_gui/

    - Mike

    Mike Driscoll, Jun 16, 2009