Simple if statement doesn't work

Andy B

I have a wizardStep with 2 textBoxes and a button on it. The textBoxes are
called WordTextBox and DefinitionTextBox. In the button_click event, I added
this code:

AddDefinition();

The code for the AddDefinition method is below:

private void AddDefinition() {

///Todo: Add validation for adding duplicate words, empty values

StockContract.Dictionary = new ContractDictionary<string, string>();

if(StockContract.Dictionary.ContainsKey(WordTextBox.Text)) {

DefinitionList.Caption = "This word already exists!";

return;

}

StockContract.Dictionary.Add(WordTextBox.Text, DefinitionTextBox.Text);

DefinitionList.DataSource = StockContract.Dictionary;

DefinitionList.DataBind();

WordTextBox.Text = String.Empty;

DefinitionTextBox.Text = String.Empty;

}

It creates a Dictionary collection and assigns it to the Dictionary of the
StockContract object. It then takes the 2 textboxes and puts the values
inside the dictionary collection. Everything works fine except the if
statement. It is supposed to determine if the value of WordTextBox.Text is
actualy a Key in the dictionary. If it is already in the collection, change
the caption of the gridview to something different and exit the method
without continuing. If it doesn't already exist, continue adding it to the
collection. Any idea what might be wrong with it?

Jeff Dillon

What is not working? I assume you've tested with hard coded values, and
stepping through the code in the debugger, etc

Jeff

cfps.Christian

You may not be showing us everything, but it doesn't look like you're
looking for case sensitivity in here. I would insert all values
as .ToUpper or .ToLower and check the textbox.text.tolower[toUpper]
against the dictionary. You'll also want to .Trim the text.