Simple import question about mac osx

jmDesktop

Hi, I have this code (learning from Core Python, Chun's book), module
named chap2.py.

class FooClass(object):
version=0.1

def __init__(self, nm='John Doe'):
self.name=nm
print 'Created a class instance for ', nm
def showname(self):
print 'Your name is', self.name
print 'My name is', self.__class__.__name__

If I do the same think on my Mac OS X 10.5.2

NameError: name 'FooClass' is not defined.

I thought it was the path and did export PATH=$PATH:/mypath/
topythoncode

but it did not help.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

jmDesktop

Hi, I have this code (learning from Core Python, Chun's book), module
named chap2.py.

class FooClass(object):
        version=0.1

        def __init__(self, nm='John Doe'):
                self.name=nm
                print 'Created a class instance for ', nm
        def showname(self):
                print 'Your name is', self.name
                print 'My name is', self.__class__.__name__

Created a class instance for  John Doe

If I do the same think on my Mac OS X 10.5.2

NameError: name 'FooClass' is not defined.

I thought it was the path and did export PATH=$PATH:/mypath/
topythoncode

but it did not help.

What am I doing wrong?  Thank you.

forgot to say that on the mac I can do import chap2, but when I try
and instantiate I get the error above.

s0suk3

forgot to say that on the mac I can do import chap2, but when I try
and instantiate I get the error above.

It shouldn't work under Windows, either. You have to qualify the name
of the class with the name of the module, as in chap2.FooClass(). Or
you can type "from chap2 import FooClass" and then you'll be able to
simply say FooClass().

jmDesktop

It shouldn't work under Windows, either. You have to qualify the name
of the class with the name of the module, as in chap2.FooClass(). Or
you can type "from chap2 import FooClass" and then you'll be able to
simply say FooClass().- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. That worked on mac. But it does work like I said in
Windows. Don't know why. Mr. Chun must also be using Windows because
that is the way he does it in his book.

Jerry Hill

Thanks. That worked on mac. But it does work like I said in
Windows. Don't know why. Mr. Chun must also be using Windows because
that is the way he does it in his book.

It shouldn't work that way on windows either. Can you tell us a
little more about what you mean when you say you "compile this" under
windows? Normally, python code doesn't need to be compiled, so I'm
wondering if you're doing something different from what we expect when
you say you compile it and then import it in the interpreter.

Are you by any chance writing code in IDLE, running it, then doing
things in the interpreter?

--
Jerry

jmDesktop

It shouldn't work that way on windows either.  Can you tell us a
little more about what you mean when you say you "compile this" under
windows?  Normally, python code doesn't need to be compiled, so I'm
wondering if you're doing something different from what we expect when
you say you compile it and then import it in the interpreter.

Are you by any chance writing code in IDLE, running it, then doing
things in the interpreter?

 --
Jerry

On Windows I took the text file I created on mac with vi and opened it
in PythonWin. I ran it. It compiled. I run the import and call from
the python interpreter.

s0suk3

On Windows I took the text file I created on mac with vi and opened it
in PythonWin. I ran it. It compiled. I run the import and call from
the python interpreter.

Well, Python compiles automatically any .py file that you import. Of
course this isn't machine code like the one from a C compiled
executable. It's Python's own bytecode. But normally you shouldn't
worry about that bytecode; actually, you shouldn't even be paying
attention to it. All that concerns you is that you created a module
and that you can import it. Leave the whole "compiling" concept to the
interpreter.

Jerry Hill

On Windows I took the text file I created on mac with vi and opened it
in PythonWin. I ran it. It compiled. I run the import and call from
the python interpreter.

You're not doing what you think you're doing. I'm not sure I know the
right way to explain it, though.

When you run your code in pythonwin, it's just like calling 'python -i
chap2.py' It runs the code in chap2.py, then gives you an interpreter
window to interact with your code. In this case, that means that
FooClass is visible with no import at all, because it was defined in
the scope of the currently running script, as opposed to being
imported.

You haven't said exactly how you're doing this on your mac, but I'm
guessing that you're opening a command line, starting up the python
interpreter, then going from there?

Can someone help me out? I'm running into a mental block on how to
explain the difference between doing this:
C:\Python25>python -i chap2.py
and doing this:
C:\Python25>python
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32

ivan

When you run your code in pythonwin, it's just like calling 'python -i
chap2.py'  It runs the code in chap2.py, then gives you an interpreter
window to interact with your code.  In this case, that means that
FooClass is visible with no import at all, because it was defined in
the scope of the currently running script, as opposed to being
imported.

You haven't said exactly how you're doing this on your mac, but I'm
guessing that you're opening a command line, starting up the python
interpreter, then going from there?

Can someone help me out?  I'm running into a mental block on how to
explain the difference between doing this:
C:\Python25>python -i chap2.py>>> foo1=FooClass()

jmDesktop,

With what Jerry stated,

You can see what is happening under PythonWin interactive window by
doing:before and after running chap2.py and see that FooClass is defined
without import, which gives a clue that PythonWin is not running the
script independant of the interactive window.

Or try adding the following to the end of your chap2.py:
print "Hello World"
somevar = 12345
And run in PythonWin and see what happens to your interactive window
and if somevar is defined.

If you close and open PythonWin and use the interactive window without
having first run chap2.py, you will find it behaves the same as the
mac.

Ivan