Simple Java Calculator required. (paid work)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ron, May 15, 2006.

  1. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Ron, May 15, 2006

  2. Ron

    IchBin Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > I have posted on Google answers my requirement (paying $25) for a small,
    > simple Java Calculator:
    >
    > http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=729045
    >
    > Thanks for looking !!

    Your spec says "I require this formula done in Javascript" not Java.
    Wrong Group.

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    IchBin, May 15, 2006

  3. Ron

    jmcgill Guest

    IchBin wrote:
    > Your spec says "I require this formula done in Javascript" not Java.
    > Wrong Group.

    The assignment would be quite trivial, despite it needing to be
    Javascript. It's 10 minutes of work...

    jmcgill, May 15, 2006
  4. Ron

    Rhino Guest

    "jmcgill" <> wrote in message
    > IchBin wrote:
    >> Your spec says "I require this formula done in Javascript" not Java.
    >> Wrong Group.

    > The assignment would be quite trivial, despite it needing to be
    > Javascript. It's 10 minutes of work...

    No point; if you scroll down, someone has already posted an answer,
    apparently without first collecting his $25. Why buy a cow when milk is free
    :)

    But if you ask me, there is something fishy about the whole deal. He's
    calculating a Manitoba Land Tax amount. (Manitoba is a province of Canada.)
    Only the Manitoba government is going to collect a tax so this is presumably
    a civil servant trying to write this Javascript. I've never heard of a
    government farming out work this informally. A friend of a friend who worked
    for an agency somewhat _related_ to a provincial government once needed
    someone to write a few lines of HTML; they guesstimated that it was 10 hours
    work total (it was more like 20 minutes) and actually advertised the
    position and did formal INTERVIEWS to find the person who would get the job!
    With that kind of mentality, I can't imagine a government with unionized
    employees just posting specs on a website and sending the guy who wrote the
    code $25; it's just not bureaucratic enough to be real government.

    Maybe this guy is a contractor working for the government. Or maybe he's set
    to do some kind of "phishing" scheme where people send HIM their Manitoba
    Land Tax money instead of the government?

    --
    Rhino

    Rhino, May 15, 2006
  5. Ron

    jmcgill Guest

    Rhino wrote:

    > Maybe this guy is a contractor working for the government. Or maybe he's set
    > to do some kind of "phishing" scheme where people send HIM their Manitoba
    > Land Tax money instead of the government?

    Sounds like an IP royalty bomb :)

    jmcgill, May 16, 2006
  6. Rhino wrote:
    > "jmcgill" <> wrote in message
    > > IchBin wrote:
    > >> Your spec says "I require this formula done in Javascript" not Java.
    > >> Wrong Group.

    > > The assignment would be quite trivial, despite it needing to be
    > > Javascript. It's 10 minutes of work...

    > No point; if you scroll down, someone has already posted an answer,
    > apparently without first collecting his $25. Why buy a cow when milk is free
    > :)
    >
    > But if you ask me, there is something fishy about the whole deal. He's
    > calculating a Manitoba Land Tax amount. (Manitoba is a province of Canada.)
    > Only the Manitoba government is going to collect a tax so this is presumably
    > a civil servant trying to write this Javascript. I've never heard of a
    > government farming out work this informally. A friend of a friend who worked
    > for an agency somewhat _related_ to a provincial government once needed
    > someone to write a few lines of HTML; they guesstimated that it was 10 hours
    > work total (it was more like 20 minutes) and actually advertised the
    > position and did formal INTERVIEWS to find the person who would get the job!
    > With that kind of mentality, I can't imagine a government with unionized
    > employees just posting specs on a website and sending the guy who wrote the
    > code $25; it's just not bureaucratic enough to be real government.
    >
    > Maybe this guy is a contractor working for the government. Or maybe he's set
    > to do some kind of "phishing" scheme where people send HIM their Manitoba
    > Land Tax money instead of the government?

    Good points. I think it is more probable that he is a student and
    wants someone else to do his homework for him.

    Furious George, May 16, 2006
  7. Ron

    jmcgill Guest

    Furious George wrote:

    > Good points. I think it is more probable that he is a student and
    > wants someone else to do his homework for him.

    Surely no *Canadian* student would do that.

    jmcgill, May 16, 2006
  8. Ron

    Rhino Guest

    "Furious George" <> wrote in message

    > Rhino wrote:
    >> "jmcgill" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > The assignment would be quite trivial, despite it needing to be
    >> > Javascript. It's 10 minutes of work...

    >> No point; if you scroll down, someone has already posted an answer,
    >> apparently without first collecting his $25. Why buy a cow when milk is
    >> free
    >> :)
    >>
    >> But if you ask me, there is something fishy about the whole deal. He's
    >> calculating a Manitoba Land Tax amount. (Manitoba is a province of
    >> Canada.)
    >> Only the Manitoba government is going to collect a tax so this is
    >> presumably
    >> a civil servant trying to write this Javascript. I've never heard of a
    >> government farming out work this informally. A friend of a friend who
    >> worked
    >> for an agency somewhat _related_ to a provincial government once needed
    >> someone to write a few lines of HTML; they guesstimated that it was 10
    >> hours
    >> work total (it was more like 20 minutes) and actually advertised the
    >> position and did formal INTERVIEWS to find the person who would get the
    >> job!
    >> With that kind of mentality, I can't imagine a government with unionized
    >> employees just posting specs on a website and sending the guy who wrote
    >> the
    >> code $25; it's just not bureaucratic enough to be real government.
    >>
    >> Maybe this guy is a contractor working for the government. Or maybe he's
    >> set
    >> to do some kind of "phishing" scheme where people send HIM their Manitoba
    >> Land Tax money instead of the government?

    > Good points. I think it is more probable that he is a student and
    > wants someone else to do his homework for him.

    A student has an assignment to calculate the Manitoba Land Tax? Seems a bit
    unlikely to me. Not inconceivable - an imaginative instructor might look for
    a real life form for his students to code - but not awfully likely. I've
    seen a lot of homework assignments described on the Java forums but never
    anything involving an (apparently) real tax.

    --
    Rhino

    Rhino, May 16, 2006
  9. Ron

    fb Guest

    Rhino wrote:
    > "jmcgill" <> wrote in message
    >> IchBin wrote:
    >>> Your spec says "I require this formula done in Javascript" not Java.
    >>> Wrong Group.

    >> The assignment would be quite trivial, despite it needing to be
    >> Javascript. It's 10 minutes of work...

    > No point; if you scroll down, someone has already posted an answer,
    > apparently without first collecting his $25. Why buy a cow when milk is free
    > :)
    >
    > But if you ask me, there is something fishy about the whole deal. He's
    > calculating a Manitoba Land Tax amount. (Manitoba is a province of Canada.)

    People don't know where Manitoba is? I'm hurt.

    > Only the Manitoba government is going to collect a tax so this is presumably
    > a civil servant trying to write this Javascript. I've never heard of a
    > government farming out work this informally. A friend of a friend who worked
    > for an agency somewhat _related_ to a provincial government once needed
    > someone to write a few lines of HTML; they guesstimated that it was 10 hours
    > work total (it was more like 20 minutes) and actually advertised the
    > position and did formal INTERVIEWS to find the person who would get the job!
    > With that kind of mentality, I can't imagine a government with unionized
    > employees just posting specs on a website and sending the guy who wrote the
    > code $25; it's just not bureaucratic enough to be real government.

    No no...I live in Manitoba and work for a City in said province. I can
    almost guarantee this happens...alot. It also seems to filter down to
    the municipal government(s).

    > Rhino

    fb

    fb, May 16, 2006
  10. jmcgill wrote:
    > Furious George wrote:
    >
    > > Good points. I think it is more probable that he is a student and
    > > wants someone else to do his homework for him.

    > Surely no *Canadian* student would do that.

    You are right. He is an American student occupying space and time in a
    Manitoba school.

    Furious George, May 16, 2006
  11. Ron

    Rhino Guest

    "fb" <> wrote in message
    > Rhino wrote:
    >> "jmcgill" <> wrote in message
    >>> The assignment would be quite trivial, despite it needing to be
    >>> Javascript. It's 10 minutes of work...

    >> No point; if you scroll down, someone has already posted an answer,
    >> apparently without first collecting his $25. Why buy a cow when milk is
    >> free :)
    >>
    >> But if you ask me, there is something fishy about the whole deal. He's
    >> calculating a Manitoba Land Tax amount. (Manitoba is a province of
    >> Canada.)

    > People don't know where Manitoba is? I'm hurt.

    Don't be. I'm from Ontario (Canada, not California) and I just mentioned
    that for foreigners who don't know what Manitoba is. (I remember Letterman
    once asking Michael J. Fox whether Edmonton is anywhere near Alberta; he
    seemed to think they were both cities!)

    >> Only the Manitoba government is going to collect a tax so this is
    >> presumably a civil servant trying to write this Javascript. I've never
    >> heard of a government farming out work this informally. A friend of a
    >> friend who worked for an agency somewhat _related_ to a provincial
    >> government once needed someone to write a few lines of HTML; they
    >> guesstimated that it was 10 hours work total (it was more like 20
    >> minutes) and actually advertised the position and did formal INTERVIEWS
    >> to find the person who would get the job! With that kind of mentality, I
    >> can't imagine a government with unionized employees just posting specs on
    >> a website and sending the guy who wrote the code $25; it's just not
    >> bureaucratic enough to be real government.

    > No no...I live in Manitoba and work for a City in said province. I can
    > almost guarantee this happens...alot. It also seems to filter down to the
    > municipal government(s).

    Really? You're allowed to farm out your work - even tiny, tiny parts of your
    work like this and not do it yourself? Your supervisors don't mind? The
    politicians don't mind? The unions don't object?

    I admit that this approach has the potential of saving lots of money since
    expensive hiring processes are bypassed but it seems to fly in the face of a
    long tradition of featherbedding and other such foolishness. Call me cynical
    but I would imagine the bureaucrats and unions being dead set against any
    such thing and the politicians being even more against it for fear that the
    media would scream accusations of improper conduct. After all, what if the
    guy who collected the fee for writing the code turned out to be a present or
    former convict or be connected with the current ruling party?

    --
    Rhino

    Rhino, May 16, 2006
  12. Ron

    Guest

    > People don't know where Manitoba is? I'm hurt.

    Never mind that, they have computers in Canada?

    hee hee hee

    , May 16, 2006
  13. Ron

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 06:35:40 GMT, fb <> wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >No no...I live in Manitoba and work for a City in said province. I can
    >almost guarantee this happens...alot. It also seems to filter down to
    >the municipal government(s).

    I worked for a crown utility corporation. The problem there was
    allocated vs unallocated money. My boss explained that once money had
    been allocated there was no barrier to it being spent. In fact, you
    had BETTER spend it, or next year your allocation would be cut back.
    Unallocated money on the other hand was near impossible to come by.

    This was why it was easier to write a computer program in 6 months you
    could buy for $1000. The first was allocated money, the second
    unallocated.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, May 16, 2006
  14. Ron

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 16 May 2006 10:27:31 -0700, wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >Never mind that, they have computers in Canada?

    In the early 1990s the cheapest place to buy a personal computer was
    Canada. You could get a lot more bang for your buck. The reason was
    so many immigrants in Vancouver knew how to import direct from Asia.
    The other factor was high quality free advertising newspapers that
    educated the public on what computers could do for them and how they
    worked.

    Also the Canadian public embraced PCs sooner than the USA and also
    datacommunications. The main reason was geography. The populated part
    of Canada is a long narrow strip just north of the American border.
    This was ideal for stimulating the development of long distance
    communications. Dealing with the rest of the country in isolated
    pockets stimulated the development of datacommunication satellites.

    Americans who don't get out much imagine they pioneered everything. It
    was the Finns who got the cell phone revolution going.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, May 16, 2006
  15. Ron

    fb Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 06:35:40 GMT, fb <> wrote, quoted or
    > indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >> No no...I live in Manitoba and work for a City in said province. I can
    >> almost guarantee this happens...alot. It also seems to filter down to
    >> the municipal government(s).

    > I worked for a crown utility corporation. The problem there was
    > allocated vs unallocated money. My boss explained that once money had
    > been allocated there was no barrier to it being spent. In fact, you
    > had BETTER spend it, or next year your allocation would be cut back.
    > Unallocated money on the other hand was near impossible to come by.
    >
    > This was why it was easier to write a computer program in 6 months you
    > could buy for $1000. The first was allocated money, the second
    > unallocated.

    I had the same explanation given to me...In non-computer related
    government work though.

    fb, May 17, 2006