    parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

    Interested in reading from you,
    Anton

    Anton, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Anton

    Neo Guest

    > ... simple graphical program to handle simple documents,
    > such as notes, short lists of items or small databases?

    See www.xdb2.com for a small experimental db that fits on a floppy. If
    you can post some sample data, we can attempt to enter it.

    Neo, Jan 3, 2005

  3. On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 at 20:01 GMT, Anton wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
    > documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
    > parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

    Why do you need a "graphical program" to enter text?

    Why XML if your needs are simple? It is good for some forms of
    data, but it is not a panacea. A simple text file can be parsed
    with less overhead than XML.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfaj.freeshell.org/shell
    My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2004, Chris F.A. Johnson

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Anton

    Guest

    , Jan 4, 2005
  5. In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, (Anton) transmitted:
    > Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
    > documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
    > parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

    What variety of graph
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_%28mathematics%29> were you
    thinking of mapping the documents onto?

    You should realize, of course, that "simple documents" are generally
    not particularly useful to try to map onto graphical schemes.

    It's quite likely to be a lot better to look at existing systems for
    managing text. Emacs has a "records" mode that is very nice for
    building sets of notes, in the form of "diary entries" that can link
    to one another.
    --
    (reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
    http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/document.html

    Christopher Browne, Jan 4, 2005
  6. Anton

    Rich Fearn Guest

    > Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
    > documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
    > parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

    At my previous place of work, I used Lotus Notes and was able to create
    documents to hold notes. To get similar functionality at home, I've
    installed MediaWiki (http://www.mediawiki.org/) which allows me to
    create new documents and link them together.

    MediaWiki uses MySQL as its backend, and it is possible to get at the
    contents of your pages (e.g. using PHP) - I'm experimenting with this at
    the moment.

    Rich

    Rich Fearn, Jan 4, 2005
  7. Anton

    Bill Harris Guest

    Bill Harris, Jan 4, 2005
  8. Anton

    Guest

    , Jan 4, 2005
  9. Anton

    Guest

    Please ignore my last msg. I just found out that FreeMind stores
    MindMaps as XML :). So I am happy. :)

    Saqib Ali
    http://validate.sf.net

    , Jan 4, 2005
  10. > Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
    > documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
    > parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

    There are lots of little heirarchical note-storing programs. Treepad,
    Treeline (my current favorite), Tuxcards, and Knowit come to mind. Most
    of these also have Windows versions, which is helpful if you need to
    work on both platforms. All of the above are free-form; they'll store
    images and text in each node, but not databases. Hidam
    (http://hidam.sourceforge.net) seems promising in offering a combination
    of free text and data in each node, but it's alpha quality and
    developing very slowly.

    Good luck,
    Andrew.

    --
    To reply by email, replace "deadspam.com" by "alumni.utexas.net"

    Andrew Schulman, Jan 5, 2005
  11. Anton

    routerman Guest

    On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:08:53 -0500, Andrew Schulman wrote:

    >> Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
    >> documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
    >> parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

    I-man.

    http://www.mind.lu/~yg/i-man/

    mySQL/php based.

    routerman, Jan 5, 2005
  12. Anton

    arasu Guest

    routerman wrote:
    > On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:08:53 -0500, Andrew Schulman wrote:
    >
    > >> Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
    > >> documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases?

    > >> parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

    > I-man.
    >
    > http://www.mind.lu/~yg/i-man/
    >
    > mySQL/php based.

    Take a look at ndxCards ( http://www.ndxcards.com )