simple online payment component

Hazz

is there something as easy as just providing a link to an inexpensive credit
card approval/payment component to integrate into an asp.net app. My
question isn't about the linking process itself but rather about my wanting
a very simple but robust credit card transaction component that I would not
have to build myself. I already have a navigation system to display product.
thank you -greg

Lucas Tam

is there something as easy as just providing a link to an inexpensive
credit card approval/payment component to integrate into an asp.net
app. My question isn't about the linking process itself but rather
about my wanting a very simple but robust credit card transaction
component that I would not have to build myself. I already have a
navigation system to display product. thank you

Paypal has .NET components ... and might suit your purposes for low volume
sites.

Gabe Garza

I don't know about other banks, but Bank of America accepts online credit
card transactions.
http://www.bankofamerica.com/merchantservices/index.cfm?template=merch_ic_ov.cfm

I already program for this, I used a HttpWebRequest for a POST Method to a
https://BofA_URL, sent the request then got the HttpWebResponse.
Next I just parsed thru the HttpWebResponse to see if the transaction was
good or not, then continued in the .NET application

The POST Method contains, your merchant account, user cc number, exp date,
amount, first name, last name, address, etc... all the required information
needed for a credit card transaction.
You can also use the same URL for crediting back a card as well.

Just an FYI.

Hazz

Thank you Ken. I actually went there and was surprised that there are
hundreds of hits but no reviews of those controls. That didn't deter me from
going to the creators website for more info but it would be helpful.
Thanks Ken. -greg

Hazz

Thank you Steve. You just gave me some new options. I will have to
re-evaluate and re-review the PayPal route. Not sure if it has changed but I
remember when my PayPal experience as a consumer required that I set up my
own credit card account with PayPal first prior to being able to purchase
and item. I recall that not being very user friendly....much easier to just
use my own credit card on a per transaction basis... Not sure if anyone else
had that experience or impression. Perhaps it was less expensive for the
online merchant to do business but it added a cumbersome step for the
potential buyer.
Thanks again Steve, some interesting options here. -greg

Hazz

Thank you Lucas.
Please read my response to Steve above about my old experiences with PayPal.
Thank you. -greg

Hazz

This is very helpful Gabe! I gave the impression I didn't need any help on
this part but I would have become a developer in distress during
implementation/integration.
Being an old ASP solutions provider I have not been working a lot with
ASP.NET so I was not aware of the HttpWebRequest mechanism!
Wow! Inherits from MarshalByRefObject ? Why is this? A hybrid remoting and
web mechanism?
Do you use the GetResponse Method?
It sounds like it allows you to set up your own SSL/TLS configured app and
then when someone connects to your site, you perform the following;
1. While I have an active session(object) with my end-user who has just
logged onto my secure site and given their credit card info, I now send that
end user's info to another secure site to authorize their credit card info.
2. After a few seconds, I get this kind of webservice-y experience going
on where I receive the accept or decline response from, say BofA. I say
webservice-y because someone connects to my service (selling some widget)
and I immediately connect to someone elses service (in this case, credit
card authorization) . Is this correct?
3. After parsing what appears to be a returned data stream, I retain that
authorization status (returned via the HttpWebResponse class,
GetResponseStream ) as a boolean in my database table along with the
transaction amount and the end-user's address info, etc.
4. After all the behind the scenes authorization which my end-user is
unaware of, I then send the response back to them informing them that their
order has been processed or that their credit card authorization has been
declined.
5. Finally, the session object is terminated...

What it sounds like with my initial impression is that .NET has given us
functionality with HttpWebRequest/Response classes that enables us to build
our own http transaction mechanisms so that I don't have to pay a
considerable amount of money to someone else who has done just the same
thing???

Thank you Gabe! -greg

Lucas Tam

remember when my PayPal experience as a consumer required that I set
up my own credit card account with PayPal first prior to being able to
purchase and item.

I *think* you can transfer cash without registering first.

But, the option not to register is not very clear... and some users think
they need to register first.