Simple page loads once then appers as source -- why?

Mark Adams

Simple problem, but might mean a major misconfiguration in Apache.

I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here on
another site for your reference (sans graphic)
http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html

The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other files,
is that this thing will display correctly one time after it has been
edited or Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it displays only the
source code.

I haven't seen anything like this anywhere in Google and I'm not seeing
anything related to it in any of the logs. The page is just about as
simple as html gets. Can anybody tell me what might be happening?
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
Microsoft's biggest and most dangerous contribution to the software
industry may be the degree to which it has lowered user expectations.

brucie

I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here on
another site for your reference (sans graphic)
http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html

The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other files,
is that this thing will display correctly one time after it has been
edited or Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it displays only the
source code.

many moons ago i remember a similar problem with a css file sometimes
getting sent with the correct mime and other times getting sent with a
text/plain mime but no solution was offered. you're screwed.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mark said:
Simple problem, but might mean a major misconfiguration in Apache.

I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here
on another site for your reference (sans graphic)
http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html

The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other
files, is that this thing will display correctly one time after it
has been edited or Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it
displays only the source code.

Works fine for me (Firefox) even after refreshing it several times.
I haven't seen anything like this anywhere in Google and I'm not
seeing anything related to it in any of the logs. The page is just
about as simple as html gets. Can anybody tell me what might be
happening?

Aside: if you really want to center everything, why not move
align="center" to the <body> and save some bytes?

Mark Adams

brucie said:
many moons ago i remember a similar problem with a css file sometimes
getting sent with the correct mime and other times getting sent with a
text/plain mime but no solution was offered. you're screwed.
Okay! Thanks Brucie.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
-- Bakunin
[ed. note - I would say: The urge to destroy may sometimes be a creative
urge.]

Mark Adams

Beauregard said:
Mark Adams wrote:

Works fine for me (Firefox) even after refreshing it several times.

Right, and it's going too from that server. The copy on my server on my
LAN, however, is not working. I may just load that page from the
Internet instead of my LAN, but I'd like to fix whatever is not working
here.
Aside: if you really want to center everything, why not move
align="center" to the <body> and save some bytes?

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
Once upon a time, four AMPHIBIOUS HOG CALLERS attacked a family of
DEFENSELESS, SENSITIVE COIN COLLECTORS and brought DOWN their PROPERTY
VALUES!!

Alan J. Flavell

Simple problem, but might mean a major misconfiguration in Apache.

Which apache would that be? See the next question.
I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here on
another site for your reference (sans graphic)
http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html

Please make clear whether you are reporting misbehaviour on the site
where you are furnishing this thing for alt.html's inspection, or only
on the site which we haven't seen. If it's the latter, then I think
we have insufficient evidence to be able to tell you what's what.
The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other files, is
that this thing will display correctly one time after it has been edited or
Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it displays only the source code.

Presumably you're not displaying this page for its own sake, but as a
custom error page? So, retrieving it for its own sake might not be a
comparable action to what happens when it's used as a custom error
page. How, exactly, are you using this thing - are you displaying it
*as* a custom 302 error page, or are you configuring the server's
redirection so that it's meant to redirect *to* this page? Or to put
it more simply, "please show us the relevant configuration lines".

Finally, since you haven't named a browser yet, the sceptics amongst
us are going to assume you only checked it in MSIE. How about being a
bit more specific about what you tried, with what, what you expected,
and what in fact you saw?
I haven't seen anything like this anywhere in Google and I'm not
seeing anything related to it in any of the logs. The page is just
about as simple as html gets.

I wouldn't have thought that the details of the HTML are of the
slightest relevance. You yourself already suggested that this was an
Apache configuration problem. Apache isn't normally in the business
of looking inside the static files that you are serving-out: it
decides what to do with them on the basis of its configuration, and,
quite likely on their "filename extension" (if you'll pardon the
expression).
Can anybody tell me what might be happening?

Anyone got a crystal ball?

good luck

Mark Adams

Alan said:
Which apache would that be? See the next question.

Please make clear whether you are reporting misbehaviour on the site
where you are furnishing this thing for alt.html's inspection, or only
on the site which we haven't seen. If it's the latter, then I think
we have insufficient evidence to be able to tell you what's what.

Fair criticism Alan. The file that you are viewing at
http://adamslan.shyper.com is simply posted so that folks like you can
access the html. The problem behavior occurs on my local LAN which you
can't, and won't see. As near as I can tell the file show up reliably
from adamslan.shyper.com which implies to me that the code is fine and
this is an Apache config. error.
Presumably you're not displaying this page for its own sake, but as a
custom error page? So, retrieving it for its own sake might not be a
comparable action to what happens when it's used as a custom error
page. How, exactly, are you using this thing - are you displaying it
*as* a custom 302 error page, or are you configuring the server's
redirection so that it's meant to redirect *to* this page? Or to put
it more simply, "please show us the relevant configuration lines".

Correct. It is a redirection from squidGuard. It show up when invoked
by the last stanza of squidGuard's config file on my server
(IP=192.168.1.105):

acl {
default {
pass !ads !aggressive !audio-video !drugs !gambling !hacking
!porn !violence !warez all
redirect 302:http://192.168.1.105/302.html

It might be worth noting that I can't get anything to happen when I
invoke the serve by its hostname (i.e. http://shuttle/302.html). Now, I
just barely got squidGuard working and I'm totally new to it. From my
reading of the docs, this is an acceptable way to spark a custom error
page. If not, you're welcome to tip me to a better one.

Finally, since you haven't named a browser yet, the sceptics amongst
us are going to assume you only checked it in MSIE. How about being a
bit more specific about what you tried, with what, what you expected,
and what in fact you saw?
Interestingly, I haven't tried it in IE. Hang on...

Okay, it works under IE.

Interestingly, it works now under Firefox 1.0.7 and Konqueror 3.2.3 as
well. It does not work under Netscape 7.2. So, it is an intermittent
problem. Oh boy.
I wouldn't have thought that the details of the HTML are of the
slightest relevance. You yourself already suggested that this was an
Apache configuration problem. Apache isn't normally in the business
of looking inside the static files that you are serving-out: it
decides what to do with them on the basis of its configuration, and,
quite likely on their "filename extension" (if you'll pardon the
expression).
So you've got nothing.
Anyone got a crystal ball?

Chicken bones? Natural Voodoo? Anybody?

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
Fourth Law of Revision:
It is usually impractical to worry beforehand about
interferences -- if you have none, someone will make one for you.

Mark Adams

Mark said:
[...]

And now I notice it's not working under Firefox 1.0.7 on my Windows
client. The same client it DOES work on under IE.

Frustrating.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
"What man has done, man can aspire to do."
-- Jerry Pournelle, about space flight

Toby Inkster

brucie said:
many moons ago i remember a similar problem with a css file sometimes
getting sent with the correct mime and other times getting sent with a
text/plain mime but no solution was offered. you're screwed.

Was that my CSS file? Because I do occasionally have that problem.

Mark Adams

Toby said:
brucie wrote:

Was that my CSS file? Because I do occasionally have that problem.

Just thought I'd pop in and mention that my problem (non-css) appears to
have been solved by changing the extension to .shtml.

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

The way I understand it, the Russians are sort of a combination of evil
and incompetence... sort of like the Post Office with tanks.
-- Emo Philips