Simple page loads once then appers as source -- why?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mark Adams, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Simple problem, but might mean a major misconfiguration in Apache.

    I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here on
    another site for your reference (sans graphic)
    http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html

    The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other files,
    is that this thing will display correctly one time after it has been
    edited or Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it displays only the
    source code.

    I haven't seen anything like this anywhere in Google and I'm not seeing
    anything related to it in any of the logs. The page is just about as
    simple as html gets. Can anybody tell me what might be happening?
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Microsoft's biggest and most dangerous contribution to the software
    industry may be the degree to which it has lowered user expectations.

    Mark Adams, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Mark Adams

    brucie Guest

    In post <news:>,
    Mark Adams said:

    > I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here on
    > another site for your reference (sans graphic)
    > http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html
    >
    > The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other files,
    > is that this thing will display correctly one time after it has been
    > edited or Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it displays only the
    > source code.

    many moons ago i remember a similar problem with a css file sometimes
    getting sent with the correct mime and other times getting sent with a
    text/plain mime but no solution was offered. you're screwed.

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Mark Adams wrote:

    > Simple problem, but might mean a major misconfiguration in Apache.
    >
    > I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here
    > on another site for your reference (sans graphic)
    > http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html
    >
    > The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other
    > files, is that this thing will display correctly one time after it
    > has been edited or Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it
    > displays only the source code.

    Works fine for me (Firefox) even after refreshing it several times.

    > I haven't seen anything like this anywhere in Google and I'm not
    > seeing anything related to it in any of the logs. The page is just
    > about as simple as html gets. Can anybody tell me what might be
    > happening?

    Aside: if you really want to center everything, why not move
    align="center" to the <body> and save some bytes?

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    brucie wrote:
    > many moons ago i remember a similar problem with a css file sometimes
    > getting sent with the correct mime and other times getting sent with a
    > text/plain mime but no solution was offered. you're screwed.

    Okay! Thanks Brucie.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    "The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
    -- Bakunin
    [ed. note - I would say: The urge to destroy may sometimes be a creative
    urge.]

    Mark Adams, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Mark Adams wrote:
    >

    >>Simple problem, but might mean a major misconfiguration in Apache.
    >>
    >>I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here
    >>on another site for your reference (sans graphic)
    >>http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html
    >>
    >>The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other
    >>files, is that this thing will display correctly one time after it
    >>has been edited or Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it
    >>displays only the source code.

    > Works fine for me (Firefox) even after refreshing it several times.

    Right, and it's going too from that server. The copy on my server on my
    LAN, however, is not working. I may just load that page from the
    Internet instead of my LAN, but I'd like to fix whatever is not working
    here.

    > Aside: if you really want to center everything, why not move
    > align="center" to the <body> and save some bytes?

    Thanks for the tip. I'll try it.
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Once upon a time, four AMPHIBIOUS HOG CALLERS attacked a family of
    DEFENSELESS, SENSITIVE COIN COLLECTORS and brought DOWN their PROPERTY
    VALUES!!

    Mark Adams, Nov 10, 2005
  6. On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Mark Adams wrote:

    > Simple problem, but might mean a major misconfiguration in Apache.

    Which apache would that be? See the next question.

    > I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here on
    > another site for your reference (sans graphic)
    > http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html

    Please make clear whether you are reporting misbehaviour on the site
    where you are furnishing this thing for alt.html's inspection, or only
    on the site which we haven't seen. If it's the latter, then I think
    we have insufficient evidence to be able to tell you what's what.

    > The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other files, is
    > that this thing will display correctly one time after it has been edited or
    > Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it displays only the source code.

    Presumably you're not displaying this page for its own sake, but as a
    custom error page? So, retrieving it for its own sake might not be a
    comparable action to what happens when it's used as a custom error
    page. How, exactly, are you using this thing - are you displaying it
    *as* a custom 302 error page, or are you configuring the server's
    redirection so that it's meant to redirect *to* this page? Or to put
    it more simply, "please show us the relevant configuration lines".

    Finally, since you haven't named a browser yet, the sceptics amongst
    us are going to assume you only checked it in MSIE. How about being a
    bit more specific about what you tried, with what, what you expected,
    and what in fact you saw?

    > I haven't seen anything like this anywhere in Google and I'm not
    > seeing anything related to it in any of the logs. The page is just
    > about as simple as html gets.

    I wouldn't have thought that the details of the HTML are of the
    slightest relevance. You yourself already suggested that this was an
    Apache configuration problem. Apache isn't normally in the business
    of looking inside the static files that you are serving-out: it
    decides what to do with them on the basis of its configuration, and,
    quite likely on their "filename extension" (if you'll pardon the
    expression).

    > Can anybody tell me what might be happening?

    Anyone got a crystal ball?

    good luck

    Alan J. Flavell, Nov 10, 2005
  7. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Alan J. Flavell wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Mark Adams wrote:
    >

    >>Simple problem, but might mean a major misconfiguration in Apache.

    > Which apache would that be? See the next question.
    >

    >>I have a simple custom error page on my LAN which I have posted here on
    >>another site for your reference (sans graphic)
    >>http://adamslan.shyper.com/302.html

    > Please make clear whether you are reporting misbehaviour on the site
    > where you are furnishing this thing for alt.html's inspection, or only
    > on the site which we haven't seen. If it's the latter, then I think
    > we have insufficient evidence to be able to tell you what's what.

    Fair criticism Alan. The file that you are viewing at
    http://adamslan.shyper.com is simply posted so that folks like you can
    access the html. The problem behavior occurs on my local LAN which you
    can't, and won't see. As near as I can tell the file show up reliably
    from adamslan.shyper.com which implies to me that the code is fine and
    this is an Apache config. error.

    >>The problem with this file, and I haven't seen it with any other files, is
    >>that this thing will display correctly one time after it has been edited or
    >>Apache has been restarted. Thereafter, it displays only the source code.

    > Presumably you're not displaying this page for its own sake, but as a
    > custom error page? So, retrieving it for its own sake might not be a
    > comparable action to what happens when it's used as a custom error
    > page. How, exactly, are you using this thing - are you displaying it
    > *as* a custom 302 error page, or are you configuring the server's
    > redirection so that it's meant to redirect *to* this page? Or to put
    > it more simply, "please show us the relevant configuration lines".

    Correct. It is a redirection from squidGuard. It show up when invoked
    by the last stanza of squidGuard's config file on my server
    (IP=192.168.1.105):

    acl {
    default {
    pass !ads !aggressive !audio-video !drugs !gambling !hacking
    !porn !violence !warez all
    redirect 302:http://192.168.1.105/302.html

    It might be worth noting that I can't get anything to happen when I
    invoke the serve by its hostname (i.e. http://shuttle/302.html). Now, I
    just barely got squidGuard working and I'm totally new to it. From my
    reading of the docs, this is an acceptable way to spark a custom error
    page. If not, you're welcome to tip me to a better one.

    > Finally, since you haven't named a browser yet, the sceptics amongst
    > us are going to assume you only checked it in MSIE. How about being a
    > bit more specific about what you tried, with what, what you expected,
    > and what in fact you saw?

    Interestingly, I haven't tried it in IE. Hang on...

    Okay, it works under IE.

    Interestingly, it works now under Firefox 1.0.7 and Konqueror 3.2.3 as
    well. It does not work under Netscape 7.2. So, it is an intermittent
    problem. Oh boy.

    >>I haven't seen anything like this anywhere in Google and I'm not
    >>seeing anything related to it in any of the logs. The page is just
    >>about as simple as html gets.

    > I wouldn't have thought that the details of the HTML are of the
    > slightest relevance. You yourself already suggested that this was an
    > Apache configuration problem. Apache isn't normally in the business
    > of looking inside the static files that you are serving-out: it
    > decides what to do with them on the basis of its configuration, and,
    > quite likely on their "filename extension" (if you'll pardon the
    > expression).

    So you've got nothing.

    >>Can anybody tell me what might be happening?

    > Anyone got a crystal ball?

    Chicken bones? Natural Voodoo? Anybody?

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    Fourth Law of Revision:
    It is usually impractical to worry beforehand about
    interferences -- if you have none, someone will make one for you.

    Mark Adams, Nov 10, 2005
  8. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Mark Adams wrote:
> [...]

    > redirect 302:http://192.168.1.105/302.html
    >
    > It might be worth noting that I can't get anything to happen when I
    > invoke the serve by its hostname (i.e. http://shuttle/302.html). Now, I
    > just barely got squidGuard working and I'm totally new to it. From my
    > reading of the docs, this is an acceptable way to spark a custom error
    > page. If not, you're welcome to tip me to a better one.
    >

    >> Finally, since you haven't named a browser yet, the sceptics amongst
    >> us are going to assume you only checked it in MSIE. How about being a
    >> bit more specific about what you tried, with what, what you expected,
    >> and what in fact you saw?
    >>

    > Interestingly, I haven't tried it in IE. Hang on...
    >
    > Okay, it works under IE.
    >
    > Interestingly, it works now under Firefox 1.0.7 and Konqueror 3.2.3 as
    > well. It does not work under Netscape 7.2. So, it is an intermittent

    And now I notice it's not working under Firefox 1.0.7 on my Windows
    client. The same client it DOES work on under IE.

    Frustrating.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    "What man has done, man can aspire to do."
    -- Jerry Pournelle, about space flight

    Mark Adams, Nov 10, 2005
  9. Mark Adams

    Duende Guest

    On 10 Nov 2005 brucie wrote in alt.html

    > many moons ago

    who were you mooning?

    --
    D?

    Duende, Nov 10, 2005
  10. Mark Adams

    brucie Guest

    In post <news:Xns970A9532A1C30Hi@207.115.17.102>,
    Duende said:

    >> many moons ago

    > who were you mooning?

    everyone until my parol officer gets another complaint

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 11, 2005
  11. Mark Adams

    Toby Inkster Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > many moons ago i remember a similar problem with a css file sometimes
    > getting sent with the correct mime and other times getting sent with a
    > text/plain mime but no solution was offered. you're screwed.

    Was that my CSS file? Because I do occasionally have that problem.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 12, 2005
  12. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > brucie wrote:
    >

    >>many moons ago i remember a similar problem with a css file sometimes
    >>getting sent with the correct mime and other times getting sent with a
    >>text/plain mime but no solution was offered. you're screwed.

    > Was that my CSS file? Because I do occasionally have that problem.

    Just thought I'd pop in and mention that my problem (non-css) appears to
    have been solved by changing the extension to .shtml.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    The way I understand it, the Russians are sort of a combination of evil
    and incompetence... sort of like the Post Office with tanks.
    -- Emo Philips

    Mark Adams, Nov 12, 2005
  13. Mark Adams

    brucie Guest

    In post <news:5n.co.uk>,
    Toby Inkster said:

    >> many moons ago i remember a similar problem with a css file sometimes
    >> getting sent with the correct mime and other times getting sent with a
    >> text/plain mime but no solution was offered. you're screwed.

    > Was that my CSS file?

    i cant remember, too many drugs in the '60s umm... and 70s, 80s, 90,s, 0s

    > Because I do occasionally have that problem.

    found this:
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt....read/thread/6d61051e708bcc25/a5e4083bb3e7d996

    offers a few suggestions but no real solution.

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 12, 2005