simple problem trying to specify a unique attribute with XML schema

smachin1000

Hi All,

In the sample schema & document below, I'd like the attribute "name" to
be unique for all function elements under function_list. The tools I'm
using (XML Spy and xmllint) all validate the sample document and do not
pick up that the name is not unique.
Any clues as to what could be going wrong?

Thanks.

function_list.xsd:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:element name="function_list">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:sequence maxOccurs="unbounded">
<xs:element ref="function"/>
</xs:sequence>
</xs:complexType>
<xs:unique name="unique_fn_name">
<xs:selector xpath="function_list"/>
<xs:field xpath="@name"/>
</xs:unique>
</xs:element>
<xs:element name="function">
<xs:complexType>
<xs:attribute name="name" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
<!-- want the above attribute to be unique -->
</xs:complexType>
</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

function_list.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<function_list xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="function_list.xsd">
<function name="fred"/>
<function name="fred"/>
<function name="frog"/>
<function name="fred"/>
</function_list>

George Bina

Hi,

Your unique constrint does not select any nodes because you are in a
function_list element and you select as selector all the cildren
elements that have the name function_list and there are no such
elements in your instance document

<xs:selector xpath="function_list"/>

What you want is probably

<xs:selector xpath="function"/>

Best Regards,
George

smachin1000

Thanks George,

Your advice worked :)
The other thing that was tripping me up is that my real world example
(as opposed to the canonical example I posted here) was using a default
namespace, so I had to some further tweaking to get the xpath expr. to
work correctly.