Simple Processor VHDL Doubt

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by apoorvmintri, May 24, 2011.

  1. apoorvmintri

    apoorvmintri

    Joined:
    May 24, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Hey Guys,

    Just joined this forum. I had some doubts regarding initializing RAM with my processor I designed in VHDL, I am still a noob with VHDL. It's 16-bit simple processor (VHDL) for a Cyclone II FPGA - Altera DE2 Board.

    I have a 128 words and each word being 16 bit of course memory. I have tried several ways of instantiating this MIF file, but my registers don't seem to do anything. Before trying to add RAM, I had absolutely no issues. The functional simulation was perfect, but now.... :sad:

    At present, before making it more complex I decided to keep it simple with it's instructions:

    Operation Function performed
    ld Rx,[Ry] Rx ← [[Ry]]
    st Rx,[Ry] [Ry] ← [Rx]
    mvnz Rx, Ry if G != 0, Rx ← [Ry]
    AND add & sub

    So the VHDL coding basically allows the processor to read the state of some switches on the board. The switch values should be stored into a register, and the processor should be able to read this register by using a ld instruction.

    Below is the MIF file explaining the different cases for loading/moving register values:
    I have tried a lot, googled things several times. RAM 1-port, ROM 1-port etc. Looked into In-system memory content editor and didn't understand what exactly I was suppose to do with it. And another thing was the ALTSYNCRAM, but I can't find this option in megawizard plug-in manager>storage>ALTSYNCRAM (apparently it's suppose to be there).

    Can someone please help?
    I have attached an image of the vector waveform that I am getting (functional, 280ns), you may see that nothing is happening to these registers.

    [​IMG]

    Last edited: May 24, 2011
    apoorvmintri, May 24, 2011