Simple query on Java

refugeedeveloper

Hello,
if anyone can help me with this query Ill be gratefull.

Im reteaching myself Java. Im trying to find out how to access Java
Documentation online or on the PC I have the java installed. I know
this is possible, Ive just forgotten how to do this.

(The text books are incomplete obviously, and I cant refer to a manual
every two minutes)

thanks in advance.

refugeedeveloper

Thank you very much for the link, at which point my next question is:

How does one find the appropriate object quickly and efficiently in
java? Browsing through API documentation in the hope of getting to the
correct object is not very efficient.

(VB,VC,PHP all have manuals.)

chris brat

That is how you do it until you learn the API.

The API is comprehensive and logically structured so you can usually
find what you are looking for easily enough.

If all else fails Google for what you are looking for.

Oliver Wong

Thank you very much for the link, at which point my next question is:

How does one find the appropriate object quickly and efficiently in
java? Browsing through API documentation in the hope of getting to the
correct object is not very efficient.

Most browsers let you type in CTRL-F to search for a specific substring.
Search the class list in the bottom left pane for the name of the class
you're interested in. Make sure you're in the "All Packages" list, unless
you intentionally want to restrict yourself to one particular passage.

- Oliver

Ian Wilson

Thank you very much for the link, at which point my next question is:

How does one find the appropriate object quickly and efficiently in
java? Browsing through API documentation in the hope of getting to the
correct object is not very efficient.

(VB,VC,PHP all have manuals.)

You didn't quote context [1] and I can't locate the full thread, so what
follows may be off-base ...

I ask my web browser for javadocs.org/ClassName (which the browser
expands to http://javadocs.org/ClassName) - it has worked well so far
for all values of "ClassName" I've thrown at it.

Hope that helps.

[1]:
http://groups-beta.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12348&topic=250
(see quote context)