Simple Question: How to see an Error stack trace in Tomcat... (Struts)

Discussion in 'Java' started by etienno@gmail.com, Jun 27, 2006.

    I have a simple probleme, I guees. I have build a simple Java Web App
    (Struts, Log4J) with some JSP pages, and I have some difficulty to see
    the stack trace of a Java Exception when running a JSP page. If the
    page has started to be written, I can see the java exception (I see the
    stack trace in a classic error page). But if the page has been started
    to be written, per exemple when the the java exception is thrown in the
    middle of the JSP page (in a DAO call), I cannot see any stack trace in
    the page in the Log4J log or in the console... Tomcat is catching the
    Exception but not writing it anywhere...

    How can I change this? I would like to see the exception either in the
    console or in the jsp page... I could maybe check in the Struts-config
    to redirect Exception in a Error JSP page, but I doubt it would work,
    because the jsp page has started to be written and cannot be change for
    an other one in the process to be written.

    Thanks for replying.

    Etienne.
    Montreal

    , Jun 27, 2006

    Have you checked Tomcat logs ?

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a simple probleme, I guees. I have build a simple Java Web App
    > (Struts, Log4J) with some JSP pages, and I have some difficulty to see
    > the stack trace of a Java Exception when running a JSP page. If the
    > page has started to be written, I can see the java exception (I see the
    > stack trace in a classic error page). But if the page has been started
    > to be written, per exemple when the the java exception is thrown in the
    > middle of the JSP page (in a DAO call), I cannot see any stack trace in
    > the page in the Log4J log or in the console... Tomcat is catching the
    > Exception but not writing it anywhere...
    >
    > How can I change this? I would like to see the exception either in the
    > console or in the jsp page... I could maybe check in the Struts-config
    > to redirect Exception in a Error JSP page, but I doubt it would work,
    > because the jsp page has started to be written and cannot be change for
    > an other one in the process to be written.
    >
    > Thanks for replying.
    >
    > Etienne.
    > Montreal

    , Jun 27, 2006

    You are right, the stack trace is there! This can be fine for me, but
    is it possible to reroute this stack trace into the eclipse (IDE)
    console?

    Thanks anyway.

    Etienne.

    wrote:
    > Have you checked Tomcat logs ?
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a simple probleme, I guees. I have build a simple Java Web App
    > > (Struts, Log4J) with some JSP pages, and I have some difficulty to see
    > > the stack trace of a Java Exception when running a JSP page. If the
    > > page has started to be written, I can see the java exception (I see the
    > > stack trace in a classic error page). But if the page has been started
    > > to be written, per exemple when the the java exception is thrown in the
    > > middle of the JSP page (in a DAO call), I cannot see any stack trace in
    > > the page in the Log4J log or in the console... Tomcat is catching the
    > > Exception but not writing it anywhere...
    > >
    > > How can I change this? I would like to see the exception either in the
    > > console or in the jsp page... I could maybe check in the Struts-config
    > > to redirect Exception in a Error JSP page, but I doubt it would work,
    > > because the jsp page has started to be written and cannot be change for
    > > an other one in the process to be written.
    > >
    > > Thanks for replying.
    > >
    > > Etienne.
    > > Montreal

    , Jun 28, 2006

    I don't know about Eclipse, but you can definitely do that in IDEA.

    wrote:
    > You are right, the stack trace is there! This can be fine for me, but
    > is it possible to reroute this stack trace into the eclipse (IDE)
    > console?
    >
    > Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Etienne.
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Have you checked Tomcat logs ?
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a simple probleme, I guees. I have build a simple Java Web App
    > > > (Struts, Log4J) with some JSP pages, and I have some difficulty to see
    > > > the stack trace of a Java Exception when running a JSP page. If the
    > > > page has started to be written, I can see the java exception (I see the
    > > > stack trace in a classic error page). But if the page has been started
    > > > to be written, per exemple when the the java exception is thrown in the
    > > > middle of the JSP page (in a DAO call), I cannot see any stack trace in
    > > > the page in the Log4J log or in the console... Tomcat is catching the
    > > > Exception but not writing it anywhere...
    > > >
    > > > How can I change this? I would like to see the exception either in the
    > > > console or in the jsp page... I could maybe check in the Struts-config
    > > > to redirect Exception in a Error JSP page, but I doubt it would work,
    > > > because the jsp page has started to be written and cannot be change for
    > > > an other one in the process to be written.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for replying.
    > > >
    > > > Etienne.
    > > > Montreal

    , Jun 28, 2006