simple question (I hope!)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rob, Jan 5, 2007.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I'm trying to develop my own website.

    I tried using html editors, but I find that building html files gives
    me the control I need. So my platform is Windows XP, my
    editor is emacs and I use IE7. I DO NOT run MS IIS on my
    development platform. REPEAT: I work directly in html.

    I am able to use cascading style sheets effectively. (Still a lot
    to learn.)

    However, when I use Server Side Includes, nothing happens.
    In particular, an entry like
    <!--#include virtual="myfile.ssi">
    does not result in myfile.ss being included in the rendered page.

    Is this because I really do not have a server?
    In other words, if I point my browser at a local file (say
    C:/mywebsite/index.html), that file is interpreted by IE7, is it true
    that the "server side" directives are never processed?

    Is there a workaround short of installing MS IIS?

    I appreciate any help here. I have to develop on my platform, but
    the inability to use included files means that changes to common
    elements means changing them on every webpage where they
    occur. Very inefficient.

    Thanks in advance.

    Rob, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Rob

    freemont Guest

    On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:16:37 -0800, Rob writ:

    > However, when I use Server Side Includes, nothing happens.
    >
    > Is this because I really do not have a server?

    heheh, yep, that's the ticket. You have to either have a server there at
    home to host the files or else upload the files to a server that supports
    includes.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·..·¯`·-> freemont© <-·¯`·..·¯

    freemont, Jan 5, 2007

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Thank you.

    Rob, Jan 5, 2007
  4. Rob

    wayne Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > Thank you.

    You can install Apache (a web server) on your home computer. This link
    has some information and a Google search will supply all the information
    you could possibly want

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/windows.html

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.glenmeadows.us

    wayne, Jan 5, 2007
  5. Rob

    Toby Inkster Guest

    wayne wrote:

    > You can install Apache (a web server) on your home computer. This link
    > has some information and a Google search will supply all the information
    > you could possibly want
    >
    > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/windows.html

    Apache 1.2 is an old version (though many people doe still use it). The
    current stable line is 2.2, with 2.3 in development.

    As the OP is using Windows XP, I'd certainly recommend using 2.x, as these
    newer versions include many speed and stability enhancements on non-Unix
    platforms. (Which is not to say that it is slow and unstable on Unix --
    it has *always* performed well on Unix... the 2.x releases just "catch up"
    the other supported operating systems.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 5, 2007
  6. Rob

    Bergamot Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > As the OP is using Windows XP,

    What the OP has on his own PC isn't relevant. He should install whatever
    web server his hosting service uses so he can mirror it locally.

    Installing Apache locally won't be very beneficial if the remote server
    is running IIS.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 5, 2007
  7. Rob

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Bergamot wrote:

    > Installing Apache locally won't be very beneficial if the remote server
    > is running IIS.

    Basic SSI (which the OP was attempting) works pretty much the same on most
    web servers, so if a simple environment for testing SSI is all that's
    reqired, Apache should be fine.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 5, 2007
  8. Rob

    wayne Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > wayne wrote:
    >
    >> You can install Apache (a web server) on your home computer. This link
    >> has some information and a Google search will supply all the information
    >> you could possibly want
    >>
    >> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/windows.html

    > Apache 1.2 is an old version (though many people doe still use it). The
    > current stable line is 2.2, with 2.3 in development.
    >
    > As the OP is using Windows XP, I'd certainly recommend using 2.x, as these
    > newer versions include many speed and stability enhancements on non-Unix
    > platforms. (Which is not to say that it is slow and unstable on Unix --
    > it has *always* performed well on Unix... the 2.x releases just "catch up"
    > the other supported operating systems.)

    Thank you. I did a Google on Apache and copied the first hit. Perhaps
    I should have done a little more research! As I use Linux, I have
    Apache installed too. I don't pay very much attention to the revision
    level as my OS upgrades packages automatically.

    Regards,

    wayne, Jan 6, 2007
  9. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Inkster had it right -- I just need this so I can develop at home
    for later upload. Standardization should make my modest server side
    directives workable in both places.

    I got IIS5.1 up-and-running yesterday. Not much fun because the whole
    focus is on generalized web hosting, while the old PWS (Personal Web
    Server) functionality would have been sufficient for my needs.

    I'm not a big MS fan, and I appreciate the efforts that have gone into
    open source replacements for clumsy MS tools. In this case, IIS was
    the easiest path.

    Now for another exciting question:
    Can someone point me to a useful source for information on organizing
    the files of an approximately 80-page website?
    I've seen lots of guides on css, but nothing on the simple problem of
    organizing the files to make relative referencing and uploading
    straightforward.

    Thank you in advance. I respect the "tone" of this group -- honest
    disagreement without being disagreeable.

    Rob

    Rob, Jan 7, 2007
  10. Rob

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > I'm not a big MS fan, and I appreciate the efforts that have gone into
    > open source replacements for clumsy MS tools. In this case, IIS was
    > the easiest path.

    Apache's not an open source "replacement" for IIS -- Apache's first
    release actually predated IIS 1.0 by about two months.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 7, 2007
  11. Rob

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Rob" <> wrote:

    > Now for another exciting question:
    > Can someone point me to a useful source for information on organizing
    > the files of an approximately 80-page website?
    > I've seen lots of guides on css, but nothing on the simple problem of
    > organizing the files to make relative referencing and uploading
    > straightforward.

    A lot depends on your site's details but may I suggest a simple
    scheme: index file and any html page that are "stand-alones" -
    not part of multi-page sections - at the top level. Pic or other
    resource folders at the top level too: to be used for the top
    level pages. You can have a main css file loose at top level too
    (if you really have a lot of them, perhaps a folder for them).
    The idea is that the top level contains all the top level files
    and resources

    Folders for the rest, the scheme for inside folders following the
    previous advice. Very simple to manage. You can have a hundred
    different ways and all will have their strengths and weaknesses
    and what you save time on one way, you can lose in another way. I
    recommend you start with a simple scheme like above and modify to
    suit yourself. Don't waste time studying everyone's pet scheme.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 8, 2007