    server'. I thought I knew what this was but considering the context it is
    in I clearly dont have a clue. Can someone please tell me what an
    'application server' is/does ?

    dave, Oct 16, 2005

  2. dave

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:51:44 GMT, dave <> wrote:

    >Can someone please tell me what an
    >'application server' is/does ?

    It's a term that has been nobbled by the marketroids, so the practical
    meaning is "Almost anything (but we sell one, and would you please buy
    it)". If you see the term used twice, it's likely to have three
    different meanings.

    The core of it is "a server that runs applications" where an
    "application" is a piece of "business logic" implemented as code, with
    the absolute minimum of extra effort that isn't the business logic
    itself. The "server" represents all the code necessary that isn't
    custom written for the application, so as to allow the application to
    run in a useful manner. So for a typical case, you implement the
    application as an EJB and the App Server allows this to operate as a web
    service, either responding to SOAP or even a more traditional HTTP/HTML
    world.

    It's generally a web thing. They existed before, but weren't called
    application servers. They also rely on some sort of component-based
    software, so they're generally based around EJB these days but could
    equally use COM or even Corba. There's no requirement for an App Server
    to use Java, but it's a long search to find one that doesn't.

    As to what it _does_, then that can be pretty minimal or very complex.
    As a minimum they do interface marshalling between the SOAP and the
    program API (for your local choices of either interface). At a complex
    level they manage object lifetimes, correct versioning, access control,
    load balancing across machine locations etc.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 17, 2005