    Is this caused by use of DIV? Or what?
    I would like users to be able to cut and paste freely. What to alter?

    Hans
    me, Jun 7, 2005

  2. me

    Mitja Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:36:59 +0200, me
    <> wrote:

    > http://members.home.nl/ww2propaganda/art01.htm
    > Why can a user not select/copy small parts of the text with his mouse and
    > paste in in his own editor?

    Waddaya mean can't? I can:
    [following: copy-paste of the whole page]

    PROPAGANDA LEAFLETS OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR ....

    FALLING FROM THE SKY
    Article Daily Telegraph, September, 1939
    This article gives an impression on how the English looked upon the
    earliest leaflet missions.

    The articles text must be considered propaganda ('we have to show our
    people that we are able to fly missions over Germany') as these early
    leaflets texts were not that succesful at all. It took some time before it
    was realized that the texts on these white propaganda leaflets should
    follow certain rules in how to address the German people. The
    propagandists did not yet understand that propaganda, to an enemy that was
    on the winning hand, was not that easy.

    One example leaflet as meant in the article.
    Leaflet EH.276 front. Over 5 million airdropped 5/9 september 1939.
    Dropped and found (for example) in:
    Geestrup Danmark, 6/9/39 Trier, Neustadt-W, Braunschweig, Dessau, Erfurt,
    Halle, Hannover, 11/9/39 Darmstadt, Frankfurt/M, Karlsruhe.
    Translation underneath.
    AIR RAID FOR PROPAGANDA
    13 TONS OF PAPER DROPPED
    By Our Diplomatic Correspondent.

    The fact that the Royal Air Force planes, which carried out raids over
    north and western Germany during Sunday-Monday night, were not engaged
    either by German fighters or anti-aircraft guns would seem to throw an
    important light on the efficiency of German air raid precautions.

    During their visit they scattered 6,000,000 leaflets telling the German
    people something of the circumstances in which they had been plunged into
    a world war by Hitler.

    It can readily be judged that a large number of British bombers must have
    taken part in this operation since the bulk of paper carried and dropped
    over German territory would approximate in weight to about 13 tons. It
    should not be assumed however, that the statement that the British raiders
    were "not engaged" means that no effort was made to intercept them.

    On the contrary. It is probable that German fighters were up with a view
    to intercepting the machines, but failed to find them.

    Berlin's Admission

    The Berlin wireless admits that British planes succeeded in dropping
    leaflets over Germany. It alleges that the machines flew over the
    Netherlands, and that they were driven back by German anti-aircraft guns
    after having dropped leaflets.

    The German wireless adds that according to a statement from The Hague the
    planes flew so high that it was impossible to recognise to which Air Force
    they belonged.

    Daily Telegraph
    September 9, 1939

    Translation of leaflet EH.276
    Warning!
    England to the German people
    The Nazi regime has, in spite of the endeavours of the leading great
    Powers, plunged the world into war.

    This war is a crime. The German people must quite clearly distinguish
    between the pretexts employed by its government so as to unleash war and
    the principles which have forced England and France to defend Poland.

    From the very beginning the English government has made it clear that the
    Polish question is not one which can justify a European war with all its
    tragic consequences.

    Five months after the Munich Agreement the independence of Czecho-Slovakia
    was brutally trodden underfoot. So that Poland shall not also suffer the
    same fate, we must insist that peaceful methods of negotiation shall not
    be rendered impossible through threats of force, and that in the
    negotiations which are requisite the Poles right to live must be
    guaranteed and honourably kept. We cannot accept or admit a Diktat.

    If Herr Hitler believes that the English government, out of fear of war,
    will allow the Poles to be left in the lurch, then he has been deceiving
    himself. In the first place England will not break her pledged word.
    Furthermore, it is high time that the brutal force whit which the Nazi
    regime strives to dominate the World should be halted.

    Through this war the German Chancellor places himself against the
    unbending resolution of the English government, a resolution which has
    behind it not only the resources and means of the whole English
    Commonwealth, but also a union of other great Powers. It is a question of
    the salvation of human freedom and the right of peoples to live free.

    Up to the very last moment the Pope, the President of the United States
    and the King of the Belgians, in the name of Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg,
    Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland, made fruitless appeals to your Nazi
    government, urgently requesting that negotiations should be chosen in the
    place of war.

    Now a catastrophe has broken out upon you in that the Reich finds itself
    isolated from the community of civilised peoples, without any support save
    that of Communist Russia.

    You cannot win this war. Against you are arrayed resources and materials
    far greater than your own.

    For years you have been subjected to the most stringent censorship, and by
    means of an incredible system of secret police and informers the truth has
    been withheld from you.

    Against you stands the united strength of the free peoples, who with open
    eyes will fight for freedom to the last.

    This war is as repulsive to us as it is to you, but do not forget that
    England, once forced into war, will wage it unwaveringly to the end.
    England's nerves are strong, her resources inexhaustible. We will not
    relent.

    Pass on (this leaflet)
    Sitemap / menu:
    Leaflet introduction
    Introduction
    How to describe a leaflet for identification
    CDR on the subject
    Links
    School projects. Please help to build this!
    Literature list
    Spreading leaflets
    How the leaflets were spread
    Early handdrops
    Boxdrops
    Monroe Bomb drops
    Balloon drops
    Shelling (artillery)
    Articles
    Article from 'Daily Telegraph'
    Example leaflets
    Passierschein
    Nazi leaflets for Netherlands Mai 1940
    Nazi fake LIFE magazine
    and
    Translations of example leaflets
    Translation of Japanese leaflets
    Translation of Russian leaflets
    Translation of Hebrew leaflet
    Wartime opinions and law
    Wartime opinions general
    Nazi law on enemy propaganda
    Leaflet and poster slide shows
    Women on propaganda leaflets
    Black propaganda leaflets
    Cartoons on leaflets
    A few unsorted leaflets
    A few nazi posters (not leaflets)
    A few nazi posters for France
    Exchange items
    Exchange items + thumbnail pictures
    Exchange items special
    Buy leaflets on the subject?
    Buy books on the subject?
    Leaflet campaigns Italy:
    "A typical souvenir"
    Introduction, US 91st Division (fifth army)
    363rd infantry regiment, Powder River
    The Story of the Powder River / Let'er Buck
    chap I/II, august 1917 - january 1945
    The story of...., chap III
    The story of...., chap IV, intermezzo: Pin-Ups 1
    The story of...., chap V, intermezzo: Pin-Ups 2
    19 Days from the Apennines to the Alps
    The story of the Po Valley Campaign
    19 Days..., more...
    19 Days..., more...
    19 Days..., more...
    19 Days..., more...
    19 Days..., Partisans
    19 Days..., Surrender
    Final salute to veterans US 5th Army

    Top of page Back to main starting page:
    Propaganda leaflets of the second World War

    Sitemap
    Mail to the pageowner!
    Copyright 1996-2005, Hans Moonen, The Netherlands.
    No part of these pages may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by
    any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or
    by any information storage and retrieval system, without written
    permission from the writer/publisher.
    Mitja, Jun 7, 2005

  3. me

    me Guest

    "Mitja" <> schreef in bericht news:eek:p.sr0d35budob4us@ibis...
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:36:59 +0200, me
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> http://members.home.nl/ww2propaganda/art01.htm
    >> Why can a user not select/copy small parts of the text with his mouse and
    >> paste in in his own editor?

    > Waddaya mean can't? I can:
    > [following: copy-paste of the whole page]
    >
    > PROPAGANDA LEAFLETS OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR ....
    >

    > FALLING FROM THE SKY

    As said, only a small part WITH your MOUSE. Not from the menu.
    I know you can select all from the menu.
    Or did you do this with your mouse? What browser?

    Hans
    me, Jun 7, 2005
  4. me

    me Guest

    "me" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Mitja" <> schreef in bericht
    >> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:36:59 +0200, me
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://members.home.nl/ww2propaganda/art01.htm
    >>> Why can a user not select/copy small parts of the text with his mouse
    >>> and
    >>> paste in in his own editor?

    >> Waddaya mean can't? I can:
    >> [following: copy-paste of the whole page]
    >>
    >> PROPAGANDA LEAFLETS OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR ....
    >>

    >> FALLING FROM THE SKY

    > As said, only a small part WITH your MOUSE. Not from the menu.
    > I know you can select all from the menu.
    > Or did you do this with your mouse? What browser?
    >
    > Hans

    hmm, just found out that it IS working with ff. But my ie does not let me
    select with the mouse????
    Maybe some local setting in IE then???

    Hans
    me, Jun 7, 2005
  5. me

    Mitja Guest

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:45:50 +0200, me
    <> wrote:

    > "Mitja" <> schreef in bericht
    >> On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 18:36:59 +0200, me
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://members.home.nl/ww2propaganda/art01.htm
    >>> Why can a user not select/copy small parts of the text with his mouse
    >>> and paste in in his own editor?

    >> Waddaya mean can't? I can:
    >> [following: copy-paste of the whole page]

    > As said, only a small part WITH your MOUSE. Not from the menu.
    > I know you can select all from the menu.
    > Or did you do this with your mouse? What browser?

    Yes, using the mouse... If I start selecting at the top, the menu gets
    selected last. Opera 8.
    I can also do it in IE.

    Oh shit... now I noticed. I only succeeded because I started dragging at
    the very top. Try it, it works. Elsewhere it does not, because the whole
    site is one huge link. Hint: you forgot to close an <a> or more at the
    beginning.
    Mitja, Jun 7, 2005
  6. me

    me Guest

    > Oh shit... now I noticed. I only succeeded because I started dragging at
    > the very top. Try it, it works. Elsewhere it does not, because the whole
    > site is one huge link. Hint: you forgot to close an <a> or more at the
    > beginning.

    I think you might be right about that '<a>'.
    But small part selecting does work in FF. So FF more fault tolerant?

    Hans
    me, Jun 7, 2005
  7. me

    me Guest

    "me" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Oh shit... now I noticed. I only succeeded because I started dragging at
    >> the very top. Try it, it works. Elsewhere it does not, because the whole
    >> site is one huge link. Hint: you forgot to close an <a> or more at the
    >> beginning.

    > I think you might be right about that '<a>'.
    > But small part selecting does work in FF. So FF more fault tolerant?
    >
    > Hans

    Yes, found the missing </a>. Seemed to be the problem. Stupid!
    Thanks for tip Mitja!

    Hans
    me, Jun 7, 2005
  8. In article <d84ihn$dlv$1.ov.home.nl>, me
    () dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > Hi,
    >
    > Here is an example page from my site.
    >
    > http://members.home.nl/ww2propaganda/art01.htm
    >
    > The question is:
    > Why can a user not select/copy small parts of the text with his mouse and
    > paste in in his own editor?
    > Is this caused by use of DIV? Or what?
    > I would like users to be able to cut and paste freely. What to alter?
    >
    > Hans

    No problems here. Try it sober. :)

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30
    Starshine Moonbeam, Jun 7, 2005
  9. me

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "me" <>

    > Hi,
    >
    > Here is an example page from my site.
    >
    > http://members.home.nl/ww2propaganda/art01.htm
    >
    > The question is:
    > Why can a user not select/copy small parts of the text with his mouse and
    > paste in in his own editor?
    > Is this caused by use of DIV? Or what?
    > I would like users to be able to cut and paste freely. What to alter?
    >
    > Hans

    "text must be considered propaganda" was straightforwardly copied from you
    site on my IE 5 on Mac

    "certain rules in how to address the German people. The propagandists did
    not yet" ... And yes, it works fine in Mozilla too on Mac

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 8, 2005
  10. me

    me Guest

    "Starshine Moonbeam" <> schreef in bericht
    > In article <d84ihn$dlv$1.ov.home.nl>, me
    > () dropped a +5 bundle of words...
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Here is an example page from my site.
    >>
    >> http://members.home.nl/ww2propaganda/art01.htm
    >>
    >> The question is:
    >> Why can a user not select/copy small parts of the text with his mouse and
    >> paste in in his own editor?
    >> Is this caused by use of DIV? Or what?
    >> I would like users to be able to cut and paste freely. What to alter?
    >>
    >> Hans
    >>

    > No problems here. Try it sober. :)
    >
    > --
    > Starshine Moonbeam
    > mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30
    > sTaRShInE_mOOnBeAm aT HoTmAil dOt CoM

    Starshine Moonbean and dorayme....
    Thanks for the assistance, but when you looked at it, the pages were already
    corrected.

    Hans
    me, Jun 8, 2005
  11. me

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "me" <>

    > Starshine Moonbean and dorayme....
    > Thanks for the assistance, but when you looked at it, the pages were already
    > corrected.

    Yes, I figured this might be the case because I had another clue after I
    read a later post alleging a missing anchor closing tag and could not find
    this in the code.

    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 8, 2005