Simple Question regarding running .py program

Mark Lawrence

On 15/11/2012 21:29, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

All I'll say is that when I read something on gmane via Thunderbird on
Windows Vista on any of the 25 Python mailing lists that I subscribe to,
I don't want to read the double spaced crap that comes from G$.

I hence perceive a problem.

1) G$ are too interested in making huge profits and so have no interest
in people who have to read the garbage that originates from them.
2) People who are too bone idle to get hold of any other mechanism that
doesn't put the double spaced garbage in.

Any and all answers to this dilemma are welcome.

Grant Edwards

On 15/11/2012 21:29, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

All I'll say is that when I read something on gmane via Thunderbird on
Windows Vista on any of the 25 Python mailing lists that I subscribe to,
I don't want to read the double spaced crap that comes from G$.

Doesn't Thunderbird have a scoring, blocking, or blacklisting facility
to allow you to hide/ignore those posts? I have slrn hide all
postings with headers that contain a line that matches this
(case-insensitve) RE:

I hence perceive a problem.
Indeed.

1) G$ are too interested in making huge profits and so have no interest
in people who have to read the garbage that originates from them.

While I generally find Google to be mostly non-evil[1] (at least when
compared to most other behmouth companies), their attitude regarding
Google Groups is notably awful.
2) People who are too bone idle to get hold of any other mechanism that
doesn't put the double spaced garbage in.

Or it could be they're too ignorant to know there's a problem. Trying
to explain the problem and the available options is, IME, pointless.

Even if you can drag them along to the point where they understand
there's a problem and they can do something about it, as long as
people read and respond to their posts, they've got no motivation to
do so.
Any and all answers to this dilemma are welcome.

I just gave up and now ignore posts from Google Groups. I've decided
there's no point it trying to change either Google Groups itself or
the people who use it. I occasionally see most/all of posts from GG
when they get quoted in followups, and never have I had occasion to
wish I hadn't missed a GG posting.

[1] OK, so I'm am annoyed with them after my Google phone updated to
Android 4.2 this afternoon and the lock-screen clock is now
_physically_painful_ to look at. However, I'm convinced that's
not evil -- just a complete and utter lack of visual design
ability.

rusi

But of course, our genius doesn't keep any records
and the cases where he is wrong don't make as much
impression on his memory.  Further, he doesn't bother
to check the headers on the non-crap posts.  Even a
junior-high science student could see the problems
with this methodology.

Reminds of the difference between pop and educated statistics:
http://www.johndcook.com/blog/2008/10/20/nearly-everyone-is-above-average/

On the whole I agree with rurpy.
One small addition: GG allows spam posts to be marked as spam.

This feature costs a few seconds and can help everyone (if a few more
GG users would use it)

Chris Angelico

Spam filtering is nothing unique.

(Don't get me wrong though, that doesn't stop it from being a good
thing. It's just not a reason to use GG above all else.)

ChrisA