    features!).

    Best,

    Fab

    Fabrice Cavarretta, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Fabrice Cavarretta

    GIMME Guest

    Excel will do it ...

    Do you know how to write VBA?

    GIMME, Oct 19, 2004

  3. > I would like to be able to read that into a simple software, like
    > Excel or Access, in order to do manipulation of the data (that are not
    > allowed in EndNote).

    Unfortunately, I am not aware of a simple utility or tool that will
    do what you are asking. There are a number of options available, however,
    depending on how much programming you are able to do.

    Option: convert EndNote XML into CSV
    Since Excel can read CSV files, you are not required to convert
    EndNote XML into MSFT XML in order to work with your data in a
    spreadsheet. Moreover, you are likely to have better luck finding
    a tool, or a programmer who can convert XML into CSV, since CSV
    is not (AFAIK) a 'proprietary' format (whereas MSFT XML is).

    Option: open your EndNote XML in an XML editor and do your work there

    Option: Write a program or script in any language that can convert
    You can write a program or a script that can read the EndNote
    XML and convert it into MSFT XML Spreadsheet format yourself.
    Although it is not a simple point-and-click solution, you can do
    it if you know three things:
    1) The specific version of EndNote XML you are working with
    2) How to produce MSFT "Spreadsheet XML" for office 2002
    3) How to write a script that converts part 1) into part 2)

    If you Do a search on msdn.microsoft.com for:
    "XML Spreadsheet (XMLSS) schema"
    you will find the reference that enumerates how to generate XMLSS
    files that will open in MSFT Excel.

    This option is obviously the most complicated, especially if
    you are not able to write a program that does this. Any language
    capable of reading and writing XML should work.

    I took a glance at some EndNote XML on the web, and it looks like
    you will have to also decide *what part* of the EndNote XML you will
    want to work with, since the whole EndNote XML file will probably not
    translate easily into a single spreadsheet. (eg do you want to work
    with the 'authors' section or something else?)

    valued customer, Oct 20, 2004
  4. (GIMME) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Excel will do it ...
    >
    > Do you know how to write VBA?

    Nope. I was hoping there would be a tool to visualize an XML file
    which represent a database, and there be able to interpret the schema
    flexibly enough to be able to reuse it in other table/DB manager,
    *without* having to program!

    Let me know how "engaged" your VBA aproach would be...

    Best,

    Fab

    Fabrice Cavarretta, Oct 20, 2004