Simple website with open and restricted area

Magnus Blomberg

Hi!

I am trying to write a simple public web application (internet) where the
root is public (anonymous) and where I have a subfolder called admin where a
few aspx-pages should be restricted to one user.

In dotnet 1.1 (or was it 2.0 beta) I had this funcionality using
Authentication mode set to Windows. Isn't this possible for dotnet 2.0? I
just want one login account to use the site, so I don't think I want to use
forms authentication to set up a login page (or is this made in 30 minutes),
and account administration page. Or could you add forms users via an
existing interface?

My current web.config in the admin subfolder looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="MIKLA\MegaphoneAdmin" />
<deny users="*" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Could anyone help me to accomplish this?!?!?
Regards Magnus

Henning Krause [MVP]

Hello Magnus,

the windows authentication approach just works as in 1.1: Set the
authentication tag to "Windows", and enable Windows-Authentication and/or
basic authentication in IIS.

Greetings,
Henning