Simple XML Editor

John Baima

Okay, so I know that there is probably not a "simple" XML editor, but
I would like something fairly lightweight that I can buy for someone
else so that they can edit an XML text that I've created (it's about 3
MB) with a XSD schema. I have XMLSpy 5.x Home Edition from a long time
ago and that was okay (more than I need really), but when I just went
to their site, I did not see anything less than a suite for $500.
Surely there has to be something smaller and less complicated and less
expensive. Suggestions?

-John
John Baima

webmaster

Okay, so I know that there is probably not a "simple" XML editor, but
I would like something fairly lightweight that I can buy for someone
else so that they can edit an XML text that I've created (it's about 3
MB) with a XSD schema. I have XMLSpy 5.x Home Edition from a long time
ago and that was okay (more than I need really), but when I just went
to their site, I did not see anything less than a suite for $500.
Surely there has to be something smaller and less complicated and less
expensive. Suggestions?

-John
John Baima

Our XEntrant editor is "fairly lightweight" just 5.3 MB instalation
package. How many elements/attributes is in that file? It doesn't
depend as much on the size of the file as on those numbers.

http://www.treestages.com

John Baima

Our XEntrant editor is "fairly lightweight" just 5.3 MB instalation
package. How many elements/attributes is in that file? It doesn't
depend as much on the size of the file as on those numbers.

http://www.treestages.com

I downloaded and I am taking a look at it. My WAG is that there are
somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 elements/attributes in the file.

-John
John Baima

webmaster

Our XEntrant editor is "fairly lightweight" just 5.3 MB instalation
I downloaded and I am taking a look at it. My WAG is that there are
somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 elements/attributes in the file.

-John
John Baima

50,000 might be manageable with a good computer,
but 100,000 will be probably a problem.
It is a graphical tree editor.

But we are working on it.:)

George Bina

Hi John,

Try oXygen XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
You will get text, grid and tree views, full schema support, XSLT,
XQuery, Diff, SVN, etc.
The layout is configurable and you can save it to a file and set up
oXygen to use that for layout so you can get it as simple or as
complex as you want. You can even place the layout option at project
level and get different layouts as you load different projects.
(Note: I work for the company that produces oXygen)

Best Regards,
George

John Baima

George Bina said:
Hi John,

Try oXygen XML Editor
http://www.oxygenxml.com
You will get text, grid and tree views, full schema support, XSLT,
XQuery, Diff, SVN, etc.
The layout is configurable and you can save it to a file and set up
oXygen to use that for layout so you can get it as simple or as
complex as you want. You can even place the layout option at project
level and get different layouts as you load different projects.
(Note: I work for the company that produces oXygen)

Best Regards,
George

George,

oXygen XML editor is far and away the fastest editor I've tried to
open my XML text. I'm really impressed with the speed--it is quite
remarkable. I looked at the text a little more and there is at least
100,000 elements in the 3MB file and it opens on my machine in just a
few seconds.

Do you give competitive upgrades from XMLSpy? :) While wonderful, it
really is a lot more than I need.

-John

John Baima

George Bina

Hi John,

Yes, we have a competitive upgrade program, see the Competitive
Upgrade bubble in the right part of
http://www.oxygenxml.com/buy.html
Note that if you need it for non commercial use then the academic
license is only USD 48.

Regards,
George

John Baima

George Bina said:
Hi John,

Yes, we have a competitive upgrade program, see the Competitive
Upgrade bubble in the right part of
http://www.oxygenxml.com/buy.html
Note that if you need it for non commercial use then the academic
license is only USD 48.

Thanks, I did not see that and I was half joking but I will take you
all up on it. It is mostly for academic purposes, but I have one
commercial project so I will buy the pro version.

-John

Stylus Studio

Okay, so I know that there is probably not a "simple"XMLeditor, but
I would like something fairly lightweight that I can buy for someone
else so that they can edit anXMLtext that I've created (it's about 3
MB) with a XSD schema. I have XMLSpy 5.x Home Edition from a long time
ago and that was okay (more than I need really), but when I just went
to their site, I did not see anything less than a suite for $500.
Surely there has to be something smaller and less complicated and less
expensive. Suggestions?

-John
John Baima

the competitive upgrade to Stylus Studio 2007 XML Professional Edition
is just $250. Competitve upgrade to Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise
Edition (CRN Magazine's product of the year) is just $350.
Download from here: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html

The Stylus Studio Team
http://www.stylusstudio.com/

jamesdrak

Liquid XML Studio contains a comprehensive graphical XSD editor, and
best of all its FREE. We've been using it for quite a bit as our
company won't stump up the cash for xmlspy. Its done pretty much
everything we've wanted it to, and our schemas are pretty complex. I
think the url is http://www.liquid-technologies.com.

Cheers James