SimpleDateFormat Problem

Karl Vernet

Hi all,

I use SimpleDateFormat in many classes, but I can't make it work with
a very simple format :
--------------------------------------
import java.text.ParsePosition;
import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;
import java.util.Date;

public class ParseDate {

public static void main(String[] args)
{
System.out.println( System.getProperty("java.version") );
SimpleDateFormat dateFormat = new SimpleDateFormat( "dd MMM yyyy" );
ParsePosition pos = new ParsePosition( 0 );
Date theDate = dateFormat.parse( "01 Jan 2003", pos );
System.out.println( theDate.toString() );
--------------------------------------
it gives a java version of 1.4.2_05 and theDate is null !!!!!!!

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanke in advance

Michael Borgwardt

Karl said:
I use SimpleDateFormat in many classes, but I can't make it work with
a very simple format : []
SimpleDateFormat dateFormat = new SimpleDateFormat( "dd MMM yyyy" ); []
it gives a java version of 1.4.2_05 and theDate is null !!!!!!!

It works fine for me in 1.5.0, but I can't imagine a bug in such a basic
functionality in 1.4 either.

Is it perhaps a locale problem? The MMM part of the format is language
dependant and you're using the default locale, which might be different
from mine and the one you're expecting.

Ann

Karl Vernet said:
Hi all,

I use SimpleDateFormat in many classes, but I can't make it work with
a very simple format :
--------------------------------------
import java.text.ParsePosition;
import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;
import java.util.Date;

public class ParseDate {

public static void main(String[] args)
{
System.out.println( System.getProperty("java.version") );
SimpleDateFormat dateFormat = new SimpleDateFormat( "dd MMM yyyy" );
ParsePosition pos = new ParsePosition( 0 );
Date theDate = dateFormat.parse( "01 Jan 2003", pos );
System.out.println( theDate.toString() );

I get