simplejson: alternate encoder not called enought

Pierre Hanser

hello

I'm trying to use simplejson to encode some
python objects using simplejson dumps method.

The dumps method accept a cls parameter to specify
an alternate encoder. But it seems that this alternate
encoder is called only as a last resort, if object type
is not int, string, and all other basic types.

My problem is that i wanted to specify an encoding
for a dbus.Boolean object which inherits from int.

As int is handled by the standard encoder, the alternate
encoder is never called and a dbus.Boolean is converted
to 0 or 1 instead of true or false.

Could someone knowledgeabled enought confirm my diagnostic?
thanks in advance

Chris Rebert

hello

I'm trying to use simplejson to encode some
python objects using simplejson dumps method.

The dumps method accept a cls parameter to specify
an alternate encoder. But it seems that this alternate
encoder is called only as a last resort, if object type
is not int, string, and all other basic types.

My problem is that i wanted to specify an encoding
for a dbus.Boolean object which inherits from int.

As int is handled by the standard encoder, the alternate
encoder is never called and a dbus.Boolean is converted
to 0 or 1 instead of true or false.

Could someone knowledgeabled enought confirm my diagnostic?

Indeed, this does appear to be the case:

import json

class Foo(int):
def __init__(self, val):
int.__init__(self, val)
self.val = val

class MyEncoder(json.JSONEncoder):
def default(self, obj):
if isinstance(obj, Foo):
return ["foo", obj.val]
return json.JSONEncoder.default(self, obj)

print "Expect:", json.dumps(["foo", 42])
print "Got: ", json.dumps(Foo(42), cls=MyEncoder)

#output:
# Expect: ["foo", 42]
# Got: 42

The docs are not entirely clear as to whether this should be expected or not.
I'd file a bug. If this behavior is deemed correct, then at the least
the docs should be clarified to indicate that the default encodings
apply to certain builtin types *and their subclasses*.

Cheers,
Chris