simplest install procedure for Python + packages under winXP ?

stef

hello,

I'm still in the transition of going from MatLab to Scipy,
and installed previous week a SciPy on a PC twice,
through the new "Enstaller".
It's a pitty that there will be no old installer versions anymore
(although I can understand why).

Although I succeeded, the behavior of the Enstaller was different both
times, and you can clearly see it's an alpha version.
(I already wrote my experiences with the first install,
the second install had the weird phenomena that none of the succesful
installed packages was detected).

As a spoiled windows user, which by the way are most people in my
surrounding, I'm used to a "one-button-install",
so I wonder if it's possible to make a much simpler install procedure.

I don't know anything about what's required for a good install,
what kind of things things should be stored in the windows registry,
but as Python is an interpretor,
I would expect there should be a very easy procedure:
- Install it on one machine,
- copy the complete subdirectory to another computer
Does this work for Python + Scipy ?
(If so, I can use Inno, which I'm familiar with)

Though the above question might seem a lot of fuzz about nearly nothing,
it's very essential for my plan,
in which I want to convince the other people at our university to move
from MatLab to Python.
For windows users, the "one-button-install" is essential,
otherwise most windows users, will not even try a new package.

Sorry for the long post, about "nothing" for non-windows users ;-)

thanks,
Stef Mientki

Laurent Pointal

stef a écrit :
[...]

Maybe take a look at:
http://www.portablepython.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

Dont know for scipy.

kyosohma

stef a écrit :

Maybe take a look at:http://www.portablepython.com/http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

Dont know for scipy.

I regularly test packages on my WinXP machine and if they work
correctly, I just copy them to the Debian box we're using. Probably
not the best way to do things, but so far it works well.

I don't think Python adds much to the registry. Mostly file
associations and maybe registering that python dll file. I don't think
very many of the packages add anything to the registry. The win32 ones
might...

You can certainly try it. At worst, you'll just have to delete the
directory and install the normal way.

Mike