Simplified timeit

Discussion in 'Python' started by Connelly Barnes, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. I've been avoiding the timeit module because it seems
    overly complicated. I finally coded my own function,
    which has the following benefits:

    1. Simple
    2. Figures out how many times to evaluate the
    callable passed to it.

    Here's the code:

    def pytime(f, *args, **kwargs):
    """Calls f many times to determine the average time
    to execute f. Usually accurate to within 3%."""
    from time import clock
    count = 1
    while True:
    start = clock()
    for i in range(count): f(*args, **kwargs)
    end = clock()
    T = end - start
    if T >= 0.5: break
    count *= 2
    return T / count

    Example:

    from math import *

    def f(x): return x * x - cos(x)

    t = pytime(f, 1.0)
    print 'Time to execute f: ', t
    print 'Calls to f per second: ', 1.0/t

    PS: Try repeating this benchmark with psyco. I get a
    70x increase in speed.

    Connelly Barnes

    Connelly Barnes, Jun 18, 2004