    that would help?

    Any advise on how to proceed would be appreciated.

    /daleif
    Lars Madsen, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Lars Madsen wrote:
    > I have a new user/server Linux setup that I would like to test using our
    > diskless terminals (LTSP).
    >
    > I was thinks about running several test user accounts (to also see how
    > it behaves with a lot of X activity), and then create a program to be
    > run by each test user that simulates some normal user behavior.
    > Something like opening a program from some list, and closing it again
    > after a while.
    >
    > But it should of course not run linear, some randomized stuff is of
    > course needed.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience in this area? Does there exist modules
    > that would help?
    >
    > Any advise on how to proceed would be appreciated.
    >
    > /daleif

    use random number generator:
    http://faq.perl.org/perlfaq4.html#How_do_I_get_a_rando

    I would put a list of programs in the script, and use the random number
    generator to
    - start a program at a random time
    - choose randomly which program to start
    - choose randomly how long the program should be running

    Michael
    Michael Goerz, Jul 17, 2006

  3. Lars Madsen

    Lars Madsen Guest

    > use random number generator:
    > http://faq.perl.org/perlfaq4.html#How_do_I_get_a_rando
    >
    > I would put a list of programs in the script, and use the random number
    > generator to
    > - start a program at a random time
    > - choose randomly which program to start
    > - choose randomly how long the program should be running
    >
    > Michael

    my thought exactly

    I have a small test that uses fork to start the programs, and then the parent
    can time out and kill the child.

    since I'd like to have several programs running at the same time, I think I'll
    need a dual fork or similar, but I think I almost have it done.

    --

    /daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

    LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
    LaTeX book: http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/ (in Danish)
    Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
    http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
    Lars Madsen, Jul 18, 2006