simulate virtual directory - I need it urgently

Amir Eshterayeh

Dear Friends

Would you please give me your professional idea about this .net problem.

I need different virtual directory for different customer with their names
like these:
www.oursite.com/Jack
www.oursite.com/Sue
www.oursite.com/Tom

I have a asp.net project. It is a website and the content of it WebPages
comes from database.
To give each user a virtual directory, I have 2 options:
1. create a virtual directory for each user and copy the asp.net project to
each directory
This is not a good solution.
2. Copy all the files to root directory (www.oursite.com) and when users
type
www.ourwebsite.com/jack or www.ourwebsite.com/sue, I can figure out the name
(jack or sue) and get the id of the user from database and bring the content
of that user's web pages from database.

I put the following code into Application_BeginRequest event in Global.asax
file:

dim sFolderName As String = Request.ApplicationPath.ToString.Trim("/")
dim AgentID as long = GetAgentIdByFolderName(sFolderName) 'from the
database
WriteAgentIdToCookie(AgentID)
Server.Transfer("AgentHomePage.aspx")

After writing the agent Id to client's cookie, I redirect to agent home page
and at this page, I read cookie and get agent id and bring the agent info
like its picture URL and home page info from database.

The problem is: When I type : www.oursite.com/Jack
I faced this error: page can not be found!

Do you think global.asax is a good place to put this code? and also this
code: Request.ApplicationPath ? HttpRequest or something?
Is there a better way to get what user typed I mean the folder name that
comes after my website.

I got web hosting service from another company so I do not have any control
over that company's IIS. I could not found a way in its web hosting's admin
site to set the default page. Any page with default or index name will come
when I type www.oursite.com without including file name.

Please help. Thank you very much in advance

Best Regards
Andy Eshtry

caviar

Amir Eshterayeh said:
[...]

Hi Andy,

The document below explains how you should do this:

http://www.microsoft.com/belux/nl/msdn/community/columns/desmet/httphandler.mspx

What you'r missing is probally on the bottom part of the article, the
/subdir/ paths you want to rewrite need to be reditrected to the aspx http
handler.

Read the article, and you'll understand..

regards hjm