simulated samba server

tc

Does anyone know of a module for python which simulates a samba server
(windows fileshare). Instead of sharing a Phisical Device I'd like to
share a database based filesystem which is spread over various numbers
of drives and servers.

Any hints?

TC

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

Does anyone know of a module for python which simulates a samba server
(windows fileshare). Instead of sharing a Phisical Device I'd like to
share a database based filesystem which is spread over various numbers
of drives and servers.

I haven't seen one so far; however, is it possible that you could serve your
users through HTTP? I have done so in a similar situation like yours.

Ola Natvig

Christos said:
I haven't seen one so far; however, is it possible that you could serve your
users through HTTP? I have done so in a similar situation like yours.

Or FTP..

tc

HTTP isn't a solution. I thought of that also, but I need it to
simulate a drive, because various programs (also such that don't
support webDAV / HTTP) need to access the files on that storage, as if
it where a local or a network drive.

tc

neither...

I really need a network drive or a shell integration (like virtual cd
drive...)

cheers

Diez B. Roggisch

tc said:
Does anyone know of a module for python which simulates a samba server
(windows fileshare). Instead of sharing a Phisical Device I'd like to
share a database based filesystem which is spread over various numbers
of drives and servers.

Any hints?

If you can use a linux server, you can create a linux user mode file system
- there is a python binding for that - which in turn you could then share
using samba.

http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/lufs-python/

tc

GREAT, thanks that should just do the trick. Maybe that way i'll
generate a bit more network traffic (because it first transfers the
data from different servers to the linux server and the sends it from
there...) but it actually will work just fine.

thanks alot

cheers tc