simulating Compliance box model in Quirks mode

Summercool

Sometimes we are forced to use Quirks mode (such as embedding code in
other people's profile box, etc).

In that case, IE will show the box model by putting the "padding and
border" inside the width and height, while Firefox and Safari will put
it outside, the same as the CSS box model.

Now, to hack around it, there is these solutions:

http://webdesign.about.com/od/css/a/aaboxmodelhack.htm

what is known as Tan hack or is it the same as Tantek hack... and it
involves exploiting other bugs in the browser...

but I wonder, why don't we just declare 3 div's

<!-------------------- The code for Quirks mode -------------------->

border: 0px">
border:none;background:eek:range">

Hello World

<!--------------- The code for Standard Compliance mode ---------------
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

border: 10px solid black;background:eek:range">

Hello World

So code #1 can simulate code #2, and it renders the same in IE and
Firefox's quirks mode, without having to exploit any bug in browsers.

and code #1, even if it is used in Standard Compliance mode, it would
still render the same, regardless of what mode it is in...

Bergamot

Summercool said:
Sometimes we are forced to use Quirks mode (such as embedding code in
other people's profile box, etc).

I don't know what this profile box thing is, but why would that "force"
you to use quirks mode?
Now, to hack around it, there is these solutions:

http://webdesign.about.com/od/css/a/aaboxmodelhack.htm

what is known as Tan hack or is it the same as Tantek hack...

This is A Bad Thing. Don't use it.
but I wonder, why don't we just declare 3 div's

Why don't you just use a strict doctype and fix the messy code from the
profile box thing?
<!--------------- The code

Post a URL, not code.

winterheat

I don't know what this profile box thing is, but why would that "force"
you to use quirks mode?

the profile box is, such as in MySpace or Social Networking website,
if you develop an app, then you provide the code inside that
profile... they display it as an iframe, but they add the
get noticed by the browser.

i was thinking of using javascript document.compatMode =
"CSS1Compat"; except this property is only readable but not settable.