Simulating low bandwidth network on localhost

qvx

I would like to test my CherryPy application in varying network
conditions, ranging from localhost full speed to low badwidth (ie.
14.4kbps) and variable latency from milliseconds range to seconds
range.

How can I simulate this? Are there some tricks to be played with Python
or is there a specialized software for this kind of things (preferably
free).

Thanks,
qvx

qvx

Thanks. I'll try to find a version that works under Windows. So far I
had little luck finding it.

qvx

Grant Edwards

I would like to test my CherryPy application in varying
network conditions, ranging from localhost full speed to low
badwidth (ie. 14.4kbps) and variable latency from milliseconds
range to seconds range.

If you've got a machine with two serial ports, you can connect
them with a null-modem cable and set up a PPP connection
between the two. You can set the baud rate as low as you want.
There isn't any way to control latency, though.