Sinatra and Rails. Was: [ANN] Sinatra 1.1 released!

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ed Howland, Oct 25, 2010.

  1. Ed Howland

    Ed Howland Guest

    Great news. I love me some Sinatra!

    Sorry, if this is OT, but since you mentioned it in the original post,
    and maybe this should go to the Rails list...

    Why would Sinatra and Rails need to co-exist? I get that they are both
    Rack apps, but is Sinatra acting like a kind of Rack middle-ware?

    I am currently working on a project that is using both of them
    (sinatra gem bundled with app), but I don't currently understand the
    relationship. Can Sinatra intercept HTTP requests or does Rails route
    certain urls to Sinatra.

    Also, if we have upgraded to Rails 3.0, should we also update to Sinatra 1.1?

    Just trying to get the community opinion on why they need to be compatible.

    Cheers,
    Ed

    Ed Howland
    http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/ed_howland

    Ed Howland, Oct 25, 2010

  2. Re: Sinatra and Rails. Was: Sinatra 1.1 released!

    Ed Howland wrote in post #957033:
    > Can Sinatra intercept HTTP requests or does Rails route
    > certain urls to Sinatra.

    Both. You can use Sinatra as Rack middleware in front of your app, a
    single controller, etc. Or you can use your Sinatra app as a Rack
    endpoint in your Rails app (i.e. you serve API pages from the same
    process, but with Sinatra, since it is faster).

    > Also, if we have upgraded to Rails 3.0, should we also update to Sinatra
    > 1.1?

    You only have to if you are using Sinatra in the same process as Rails
    and hooked in after the Rails router. You should also upgrade if you are
    planning to use Ruby 1.9.2. The upgrade should be rather pain free (1.0
    apps should just work on 1.1).

    Konstantin

    Konstantin H., Oct 26, 2010