    tell me because I can't seem to recall the term :( Is it just "single
    threaded environment"? Or is the term something else? Thanks!

    Rick

    Rick, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Rick wrote:
    > I know this might not be the best place to ask this but.. umm I know
    > Java is a multithreaded environment. what do you call a single threaded
    > environment where there are no multiple threads or scheduler? Please
    > tell me because I can't seem to recall the term :( Is it just "single
    > threaded environment"? Or is the term something else? Thanks!

    It seems like you don't know the difference between "process" and "thread".
    The major division is between "single-tasking" environments such as MS-DOS
    where only one process can execute at the same time and "multi-tasking"
    environments where many processes run in parallel governed by a scheduler
    (there's a further distinction between "cooperative" and "preemptive"
    multitasking). Threads are just a conceptually minor performance-related
    extension of the multitasking concept.

    Michael Borgwardt, Nov 17, 2003