Single Validator for 3 field Phone Number

Sharon Traineanu via .NET 247

I'm using C#.net.

I have a phone number in three asp textboxes. I'd like to make the phone number required, and validate to make sure only numbers have been entered.

My main problem is I can't find a way to have all three textboxes use the same validator and not display 3 error messages.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

This is just not possible with the standard validation controls.
You'll have to create your own solution.
For this, you might find these links useful:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...bcon/html/vbtskvalidatingprogrammatically.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...n/html/vbconspecial-casevalidationresults.asp

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

Sharon Traineanu via .NET 247 said:
I'm using C#.net.

I have a phone number in three asp textboxes. I'd like to make the phone
number required, and validate to make sure only numbers have been entered.
My main problem is I can't find a way to have all three textboxes use the
same validator and not display 3 error messages.

Peter Blum

Hi Sharon,

Instead of writing custom code, there is a commercial solution that lets you
do this without coding. "Professional Validation And More"
http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx has 22 validators. Its
MultiConditionValidator lets you combine the power of validators into a
single validator. For example, you would be able to combine Required
validators and DataTypeCheck validators like this:
TextBox1 is Required AND TextBox1 must be an integer AND TextBox1 must have
3 characters AND
TextBox2 is Required AND TextBox2 must be an integer AND TextBox2 must have
3 characters AND
TextBox3 is Required AND TextBox3 must be an integer AND TextBox3 must have
4 characters

The result generates client-side code that is supported by IE,
Netscape/mozilla, Opera 7, and Safari (Microsoft's validators are limited to
DHTML browsers).

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
Email: (e-mail address removed)