Singleton design pattern

Guest

Hello All,

If I create a class based on Singleton design pattern, are the methods in
this class thread-safe?

Consider the following class:

Public class Singleton
{

public int Add(int a, int b)

If suppose I have a request A which calls the method with params as 1 and 2
and another request simultaneously calls the method with params as 3 and 4

Is there a possibility that the params are overrided as follows

--> Request A calls the method with params as 1 and 4
--> Request A calls the method with params as 3 and 2

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

bruce barker

it depends on the code. if your class contains no shareded variables, and
calls no unmanged code, it will be threadsafe.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| Hello All,
|
| If I create a class based on Singleton design pattern, are the methods in
| this class thread-safe?
|
| Consider the following class:
|
| Public class Singleton
| {
|
| public int Add(int a, int b)
| {
|
| }
|
| }
|
| If suppose I have a request A which calls the method with params as 1 and
2
| and another request simultaneously calls the method with params as 3 and 4
|
| Is there a possibility that the params are overrided as follows
|
| --> Request A calls the method with params as 1 and 4
| --> Request A calls the method with params as 3 and 2
|
| Thanks for your suggestions!!!

Guest

1) Shared variables
2) Unmanaged code

Are these the necessary and sufficient conditions for singleton class
methods to be thread-safe?

Matt Berther

Hello Scott,

Thanks for the articles, Scott... This debate came up at work the other day.
Your articles will help to prove my case. :=)

bruce barker

these are the only cases that cause a singleton to not be threadsafe.

1) you can use unmaned code if you know its threadsafe
2) you can use shared/statics if you sync, and you expect the same data
across all threads.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| 1) Shared variables
| 2) Unmanaged code
|
| Are these the necessary and sufficient conditions for singleton class
| methods to be thread-safe?
|
| "bruce barker" wrote:
|
| > it depends on the code. if your class contains no shareded variables,
and
| > calls no unmanged code, it will be threadsafe.
| >
| > -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

| > |
| > | If I create a class based on Singleton design pattern, are the methods
in
| > | this class thread-safe?
| > |
| > | Consider the following class: