Singleton Pattern

Torsten Mueller

What is the practical significance of Singleton Pattern

The singleton pattern is a theoretical abstraction layer for people
thinking in patterns to understand the phenomenon of a single object's
loneliness.

T.M.

Stuart MacMartin

When you want to treat some bundled behaviour/state as an object, but
there can be only one of them in the application. e.g. your
application or your process. (Contrast with when you'd prefer a
namespace in C++)

Stuart

cpitis

This pattern allows you to allow only one instance of a class in an
application.

It is one of the patterns that I saw missused very often.

It is also badly used in multithreaded applications, in combination
with lazy initialization of the instance.

Catalin

Torsten Mueller

Richard Herring said:
I thought you didn't approve of singletons?

Especially polymorphic ones.

I'm not polymorphic. I'm T.M. all the time and also in other news
groups for more than six years now. Look into my header lines and look
into Mercator's: he is from Austria while I'm located in Switzerland.

T.M.

Richard Herring

Torsten Mueller said:
I'm not polymorphic. I'm T.M. all the time and also in other news
groups for more than six years now. Look into my header lines and look
into Mercator's: he is from Austria while I'm located in Switzerland.
So you are. Apologies for confusing you with a troll; I thought you were
referring to a more recent thread about singletons.