  1. Guest

    What is the practical significance of Singleton Pattern
    , Jul 19, 2005

  2. schrieb:

    > What is the practical significance of Singleton Pattern

    The singleton pattern is a theoretical abstraction layer for people
    thinking in patterns to understand the phenomenon of a single object's
    loneliness.

    T.M.
    Torsten Mueller, Jul 19, 2005

  3. When you want to treat some bundled behaviour/state as an object, but
    there can be only one of them in the application. e.g. your
    application or your process. (Contrast with when you'd prefer a
    namespace in C++)

    Stuart
    Stuart MacMartin, Jul 19, 2005

    This pattern allows you to allow only one instance of a class in an
    application.

    It is one of the patterns that I saw missused very often.

    It is also badly used in multithreaded applications, in combination
    with lazy initialization of the instance.

    Catalin
    , Jul 19, 2005
  5. Mercator Guest

    wrote:
    > What is the practical significance of Singleton Pattern

    Singleton is an 'Anti-Pattern', i.e. it should be avoided whenever
    possible.
    Mercator, Jul 19, 2005
  6. ulrich Guest

    On 19 Jul 2005 08:42:55 -0700, Mercator <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> What is the practical significance of Singleton Pattern

    > Singleton is an 'Anti-Pattern', i.e. it should be avoided whenever
    > possible.

    could you give some rational for this opinion of yours?
    ulrich, Jul 20, 2005
  7. ulrich <> schrieb:

    > > Singleton is an 'Anti-Pattern', i.e. it should be avoided whenever
    > > possible.

    > could you give some rational for this opinion of yours?

    I gave some hints in a previous thread started here:

    <>

    T.M.
    Torsten Mueller, Jul 20, 2005
  8. In message <>, Torsten Mueller
    <> writes
    >ulrich <> schrieb:
    >
    >> > Singleton is an 'Anti-Pattern', i.e. it should be avoided whenever
    >> > possible.

    >> could you give some rational for this opinion of yours?

    >I gave some hints in a previous thread started here:
    >
    > <>

    Were you posting as "panjandrum", "rapscallion" or "mercator" at the
    time?

    --
    Richard Herring
    Richard Herring, Jul 20, 2005
  9. Mercator Guest

    Richard Herring wrote:
    > Were you posting as "panjandrum", "rapscallion" or "mercator" at the
    > time?

    I'm definitely the one and only Mercator!
    Mercator, Jul 20, 2005
  10. In message <>,
    Mercator <> writes
    >Richard Herring wrote:
    >> Were you posting as "panjandrum", "rapscallion" or "mercator" at the
    >> time?

    >I'm definitely the one and only Mercator!

    I thought you didn't approve of singletons?

    Especially polymorphic ones.

    --
    Richard Herring
    Richard Herring, Jul 20, 2005
  11. Richard Herring <junk@[127.0.0.1]> schrieb:

    > > > Were you posting as "panjandrum", "rapscallion" or "mercator" at
    > > > the time?

    > > I'm definitely the one and only Mercator!

    > I thought you didn't approve of singletons?
    >
    > Especially polymorphic ones.

    I'm not polymorphic. I'm T.M. all the time and also in other news
    groups for more than six years now. Look into my header lines and look
    into Mercator's: he is from Austria while I'm located in Switzerland.

    T.M.
    Torsten Mueller, Jul 21, 2005
  12. In message <>, Torsten Mueller
    <> writes

    >> > I'm definitely the one and only Mercator!

    >> I thought you didn't approve of singletons?
    >>
    >> Especially polymorphic ones.

    >I'm not polymorphic. I'm T.M. all the time and also in other news
    >groups for more than six years now. Look into my header lines and look
    >into Mercator's: he is from Austria while I'm located in Switzerland.

    So you are. Apologies for confusing you with a troll; I thought you were
    referring to a more recent thread about singletons.

    --
    Richard Herring
    Richard Herring, Jul 21, 2005