    rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

    Thank you.
    TR

    Anthony Ritter, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Anthony Ritter

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Anthony Ritter" <> wrote:

    >Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5
    >
    >www.narrowsburg.org
    >
    >The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is rendered o.k
    >with IE 5.5

    Why not just give the actual URL of the page you're interested in:
    http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_welcome.html

    >If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know how it's
    >rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

    The menu is mostly okay in Opera 7, but the previous splash page is a
    mess: http://steve.pugh.net/test/O7-narrowsburg.jpg

    In IE6, Opera 7 and Mozilla 1.5 the page is okay at 800x600 but shows
    overlapping images and text at larger resolutions.

    This is of course caused by combining % and px in the positioing
    instructions. Personally I would not use position: absolute to achieve
    that layout, rather I would use float and margin.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Anthony Ritter

    PeterMcC Guest

    Steve Pugh <> wrote in
    <>

    > "Anthony Ritter" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5
    >>
    >> www.narrowsburg.org
    >>
    >> The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is
    >> rendered o.k with IE 5.5

    > Why not just give the actual URL of the page you're interested in:
    > http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_welcome.html

    Because then they wouldn't have seen the instruction "This site is best
    viewed using MS IE5x at 800" x 600". Please enlarge your screen."

    That's nearly 70 foot by 50 foot - that's what I call enlargement.

    The serious point is that it's a bad idea to design for a specific display.

    >> If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know
    >> how it's rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

    > The menu is mostly okay in Opera 7, but the previous splash page is a
    > mess: http://steve.pugh.net/test/O7-narrowsburg.jpg
    >
    > In IE6, Opera 7 and Mozilla 1.5 the page is okay at 800x600 but shows
    > overlapping images and text at larger resolutions.
    >
    > This is of course caused by combining % and px in the positioing
    > instructions. Personally I would not use position: absolute to achieve
    > that layout, rather I would use float and margin.

    Whilst it's not directly related to the menu, it may be worth mentioning
    that in IE the fixed sized text is too small for me to read comfortably and
    virtually impossible to read over the background image.

    And, if I'm going to wander into other areas, there are links in the copy
    that are not shown as links unless one happens to mouse over them and which
    don't appear to be replicated on the menu - making it a matter of chance
    that the visitor finds them.

    Hope that's useful.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Quoth the raven named Anthony Ritter:

    > Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5
    >
    > at:

    Several of us have already answered you in alt.html.critique
    Please don't multipost.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Anthony Ritter

    Rob Guest

    On second page some pictures appear over the text.
    Didn't look further.

    W98 MSExplorer 6.0 sp1
    Screen resolution 1024x768

    Rob.

    Rob, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Anthony Ritter

    Marco Bakker Guest

    Anthony Ritter <> wrote:

    > Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5
    >
    > at:
    >
    > www.narrowsburg.org
    >
    > The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is rendered o.k
    > with IE 5.5
    >
    > If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know how it's
    > rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

    http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_members.html

    This page gives a Javascript saying 'sorry, this only works in 4.0
    browsers'.

    I use Safari 1.1.

    I guess I have to wait for version 4.0 and than check your site again,
    in 2006 or 2007.

    --
    marco

    Marco Bakker, Jan 15, 2004
  7. Anthony Ritter

    mscir Guest

    Marco Bakker wrote:

    > Anthony Ritter <> wrote:
    >
    >>Using MS Win 98 / MS IE 5.5 at:
    >>
    >>www.narrowsburg.org
    >>
    >>The menu in the upper left hand side after you hit 'enter' is rendered o.k
    >>with IE 5.5
    >>
    >>If anybody out there has a moment could you check and let me know how it's
    >>rendered on different browsers and operating systems.

    > http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_members.html
    >
    > This page gives a Javascript saying 'sorry, this only works in 4.0
    > browsers'.
    >
    > I use Safari 1.1.

    I get the same warning using Netscape 7.1

    mscir, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Anthony Ritter

    rf Guest

    "mscir" <> wrote in message

    > Marco Bakker wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.narrowsburg.org/n_members.html
    > >
    > > This page gives a Javascript saying 'sorry, this only works in 4.0
    > > browsers'.
    > >
    > > I use Safari 1.1.

    > I get the same warning using Netscape 7.1

    Mozilla as well (of course).

    The offending bit of javascript:

    <quote>
    if (document.all)
    {
    div_string = "window.document.all." + the_div + ".style";
    } else if (document.layers) {
    div_string = "window.document." + the_div;
    } else {
    alert("sorry, this only works in 4.0 browsers");
    return;
    }
    the_div = eval(div_string);
    the_div.visibility = the_change;