Site critique of a spammer

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard Formby, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. So, this guy:
    http://www.navsports.com.au/
    spams me.

    I tell him politely that he has spammed me and BTW his web site sucks,
    particularly the fact that it falls apart when I make my font larger in
    modern browsers.

    <reply>
    Thanks for the feedback about the browser I did not know that.

    And were you serious about it sucking, if you were whats wrong with it?

    </reply>

    I will point him to this thread so he may review your comments.

    Pay particular attention to the size of the images, the fixed width and
    pixel sized fonts. The "scroll bar" in the 'select a sport' bit is also a
    little suspect. I was amused that selecting something from there breaks the
    back button.
    Richard Formby, Nov 16, 2006

  2. Richard Formby

    John Hosking Guest

    Richard Formby wrote:
    > So, this guy: http://www.navsports.com.au/ spams me.
    >
    > I tell him politely that he has spammed me and BTW his web site sucks,
    > particularly the fact that it falls apart when I make my font larger in
    > modern browsers.

    I somehow don't think that telling somebody his web site "sucks" is
    going to match telling him "politely" that he spammed you. By the time
    he reads "sucks," he's going to go have a different understanding of
    your politeness.

    > <reply>
    > Thanks for the feedback about the browser I did not know that.
    >
    > And were you serious about it sucking, if you were whats wrong with it?
    > </reply>
    >
    > I will point him to this thread so he may review your comments.

    Wait a minute; we're supposed to help a spammer improve his site? To
    what end? So he gets more customers?

    And why didn't you post this on alt.html.critique instead?

    > Pay particular attention to the size of the images, the fixed width and
    > pixel sized fonts. The "scroll bar" in the 'select a sport' bit is also a
    > little suspect. I was amused that selecting something from there breaks the
    > back button.

    Most of the usual suspects:
    XHTML. Why? (But it does validate!!)
    Table-based layout. Single-cell tables. Odd CSS.
    Fascinating keywords. Once as meta content, and again as font-size:0pt
    content.
    No background colour defined. Text colour not always defined.
    Not much of a page with images turned off.
    Apparently desgned for a viewport of 1004x625px.
    And the alignment is messed up already as soon as I arrive, *before* I
    even adjust my text size.

    That's only the first page.

    --
    John
    John Hosking, Nov 16, 2006

  3. Richard Formby

    dorayme Guest

    In article <aCZ6h.67159$>,
    "Richard Formby" <> wrote:

    > So, this guy:
    > http://www.navsports.com.au/
    > spams me.
    >
    > I tell him politely that he has spammed me and BTW his web site sucks,
    > particularly the fact that it falls apart when I make my font larger in
    > modern browsers.
    >
    > <reply>
    > Thanks for the feedback about the browser I did not know that.
    >

    > And were you serious about it sucking, if you were whats wrong with it?
    >
    > </reply>
    >

    > I will point him to this thread so he may review your comments.
    >

    > Pay particular attention to the size of the images, the fixed width and
    > pixel sized fonts. The "scroll bar" in the 'select a sport' bit is also a
    > little suspect. I was amused that selecting something from there breaks the
    > back button.

    Here is a comment to back you up: "this guy" should take a look
    at how his site behaves in Safari at all text-size settings.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Nov 16, 2006