    http://www.deanscream.com

    I started designing by hand in notepad than went to an easy jobber. Web page
    maker. Any snipes are fine and appreciated. TIA

    static, Aug 21, 2005

  2. static

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "static" <>
    >
    > Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
    >
    > http://www.deanscream.com

    OK. let me make 2 criticisms without looking at your code:

    It loads way too slow and on that ground alone, for a public site of general
    interest, is very bad.

    It is extremely irritating to have to use scrollbars to see horizontal
    content on even my 20" monitor at 1024 px wide even... This is one of the
    worst "fixed width" designs around. You seem unaware that there are any
    screens besides your own at your own settings...

    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 21, 2005

  3. static

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "static" <>
    >
    > Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
    >
    > http://www.deanscream.com
    >
    > I started designing by hand in notepad than went to an easy jobber. Web page
    > maker. Any snipes are fine and appreciated. TIA

    And now, nicer:

    At least reduce the size of all the pics by at least half.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 21, 2005
  4. Blinky the Shark, Aug 21, 2005
  5. On Sunday 21 August 2005 02:24, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > static wrote:
    >> Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
    >>
    >> http://www.deanscream.com

    > I half expected a p*rn site, since I parsed the name as "dean's cream".
    >
    > That said, it's too wide and I don't care to download another plugin,
    > thanks.

    I second that.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz "Free the mind, the source will follow"
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 21, 2005
  6. static

    Stan McCann Guest

    "static" <> wrote in

    > Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
    >
    > http://www.deanscream.com
    >
    > I started designing by hand in notepad than went to an easy jobber.
    > Web page maker. Any snipes are fine and appreciated. TIA

    A little of both ripping and being nice. Color scheme, look and feel;
    I think is good. You should have stuck with notepad and learned HTML
    instead of depending on a WYSINWYG generator. Although, it uses
    styling (good), all of the styling is in-line (which is bad) causing
    poor load times even on a fast connection.

    Something that many are going to get you on is the horizontal scolling.
    That is not a good thing, most people don't like scrolling left/right;
    it makes it hard to read things. Your quotes page has some horrible
    markeup that follows no kind of standard at all. Is that entire page
    really a heading?

    http://www.w3schools.com/ has some good tutorials. Go back to using a
    text editor and learn how to use HTML 4.01. Many books and tutorials
    you find will suggest/recommend using a Transitional DTD. The HTML
    4.01 recommendation being issued in 1998 convices me that any
    "transition" time is long past. IMO, all new documents should use a
    strict doctype and follow the recommendation as closely as possible. I
    leave that "closely as possible" there for a bit of leeway; it probably
    wouldn't take a lot of convincing for a good reason to not follow the
    recommendation but you should know that you are doing it and why.

    http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.

    Stan McCann, Aug 21, 2005
  7. static

    Stan McCann Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote in

    > static wrote:
    >> Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
    >>
    >> http://www.deanscream.com

    > I half expected a p*rn site, since I parsed the name as "dean's
    > cream".
    >
    > That said, it's too wide and I don't care to download another
    > plugin, thanks.

    I forgot to mention the plugin. That was one of the things I meant to
    complement him on, I didn't download any plugin and AFAIK got a good
    enough look at the site as far as I wanted to go. I didn't think I
    missed anything.

    Stan McCann, Aug 21, 2005
  8. static

    static Guest

    "Stan McCann" <> wrote in message
    > "static" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Go ahead rip me apart or be nice.
    > >
    > > http://www.deanscream.com
    > >
    > > I started designing by hand in notepad than went to an easy jobber.
    > > Web page maker. Any snipes are fine and appreciated. TIA

    > A little of both ripping and being nice. Color scheme, look and feel;
    > I think is good. You should have stuck with notepad and learned HTML
    > instead of depending on a WYSINWYG generator. Although, it uses
    > styling (good), all of the styling is in-line (which is bad) causing
    > poor load times even on a fast connection.
    >
    > Something that many are going to get you on is the horizontal scolling.
    > That is not a good thing, most people don't like scrolling left/right;
    > it makes it hard to read things. Your quotes page has some horrible
    > markeup that follows no kind of standard at all. Is that entire page
    > really a heading?
    >
    > http://www.w3schools.com/ has some good tutorials. Go back to using a
    > text editor and learn how to use HTML 4.01. Many books and tutorials
    > you find will suggest/recommend using a Transitional DTD. The HTML
    > 4.01 recommendation being issued in 1998 convices me that any
    > "transition" time is long past. IMO, all new documents should use a
    > strict doctype and follow the recommendation as closely as possible. I
    > leave that "closely as possible" there for a bit of leeway; it probably
    > wouldn't take a lot of convincing for a good reason to not follow the
    > recommendation but you should know that you are doing it and why.
    >
    > --
    > Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/pirate.html
    > Webmaster/Computer Center Manager, NMSU at Alamogordo
    > http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ There are 10 kinds of people.
    > Those that understand binary and those that don't.

    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

    static, Aug 21, 2005