    located within a relatively narrow geographic area (e.g., city, county)
    when they are using the typical search engines?

    Harry

    Harry, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Harry wrote:

    > Is there any way to limit who see a site to people using computers
    > located within a relatively narrow geographic area (e.g., city, county)
    > when they are using the typical search engines?
    >
    > Harry

    The very simple answer is no. That question reminds me of "can I prevent
    people from saving images that I display to them?".

    Even if you asked search engines (and had their consent) to exclude your
    site from search queries outside your region, there is the possibility of
    using proxies. Needless to say, no decent (in terms of power) search engine
    will cater for your needs so my last sentence is a very hypothetical one.

    If you have a local and humble search engine (I have heard of such SE's
    targetting a small community of sites only) that only crawls local sites,
    then you can add exclusion rules to your /robots.txt file which only allow
    that one search engine to use up bandwidth.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Harry

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Harry" <>
    writing in news::

    > Is there any way to limit who see a site to people using computers
    > located within a relatively narrow geographic area (e.g., city, county)
    > when they are using the typical search engines?
    >
    > Harry

    In addition to what Roy said, you would really not want to do this because
    someone might be using another computer in another city, but want
    information local to them.

    You could have the user search on zipcode or postal code, and then only
    show results for that zip code, or within a certain mile radius.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Harry

    Guest

    Roy and Adrienne:

    I wanted to do some "test marketing" of a product in this local area
    and prevent -- at the same time -- possible competitors in other areas
    of the country from learning about it. So ... it sounds like that isn't
    possible.

    Drat! But thank you both for taking the time to respond to my question.
    I do appreciate it.

    Harry Truman

    , Aug 10, 2005