Site dropped out of Google index

Discussion in 'HTML' started by chlori, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. chlori

    chlori Guest

    Hello

    I hope this isn't too off topic...

    A site I made could easily be found with Google on
    Tuesday. Top ten, depending on the used key phrases.

    Wednesday morning the site couldn't be found at all and
    then in the evening it was easily found again. Since
    Thursday I can't find it at all anymore.

    I hardly changed anything on the site, so I can't
    imagine what went wrong...

    Can anyone help me here? How can I get back to Google?

    TIA
    chlori

    chlori, Jun 4, 2004

  2. chlori

    PeterMcC Guest

    chlori wrote in
    <c9q4co$p0$-plus.net>

    > Hello
    >
    > I hope this isn't too off topic...
    >
    > A site I made could easily be found with Google on
    > Tuesday. Top ten, depending on the used key phrases.
    >
    > Wednesday morning the site couldn't be found at all and
    > then in the evening it was easily found again. Since
    > Thursday I can't find it at all anymore.
    >
    > I hardly changed anything on the site, so I can't
    > imagine what went wrong...
    >
    > Can anyone help me here? How can I get back to Google?

    Have you recently put this site up?

    If so, you're at the stage where Google has identified the site but doesn't
    yet have a cached version of the page, nor does the page have any PR. If
    that is the case, the answer is to have patience. Having said that, the site
    isn't well optimised and I'd be surprised, once Google's had a good look, if
    you get top ten placings - though I don't know which keywords you're
    targeting.

    I'd suggest using the time to optimise the site whilst you wait for Google -
    more use of your target search terms in the text, use <h1> and <h2> headings
    that contain your search terms, use your search terms in the link text on
    your nav bar, use the search terms in the page title, image titles are
    sometimes useful but the text is not indexed by Google and can be removed,
    get in-bound links, add more copy...

    Have a look at:
    http://www.spider-food.net/
    http://searchenginewatch.com/
    http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jun 4, 2004

  3. chlori

    chlori Guest

    PeterMcC schrieb am 04.06.2004 17:49:
    > Have you recently put this site up?

    Yes, some weeks or months ago.

    > If so, you're at the stage where Google has identified the site but doesn't
    > yet have a cached version of the page, nor does the page have any PR. If
    > that is the case, the answer is to have patience.

    Ok, thanks. I'll wait... Didn't know about the cache.

    > [...] I'd be surprised, once Google's had a good look, if
    > you get top ten placings

    Well for a short list of very relevant keywords the
    page was top 1.

    > - though I don't know which keywords you're
    > targeting.

    e.g. Regeltechnik, RF-Identifikation, Automation,
    Blanke, Steuern

    > [...] use <h1> and <h2> headings that contain your search terms,

    Maybe I don't understand you right, but that's IMO
    exactly what I did:

    Look at e.g. http://blanke.ch/auto.php:
    - <h1>Blanke</h1>
    - <h2>Steuer - Mess - Regeltechnik</h2>
    - <h1>Automation</h1>
    - <h2>Steuer-Mess-Regeltechnik</h2>

    > use your search terms in the link text

    That's what I have (in the menu and on home page):
    - Automation
    - RF-Identifikation

    > use the search terms in the page title,

    I have done exactly that
    - <title>Blanke Automation</title>
    - <title>Blanke RF-Identifikation</title>

    > image titles are sometimes useful but the text is
    > not indexed by Google and can be removed,

    Ok, they're useless for Google, but why remove them?

    > get in-bound links

    Got some good ones a few days ago.

    > add more copy...

    Sorry, don't know what you mean with this?

    So, if I understood you right, then I did exactly what
    you said and what your links say. And that's the reason
    why this site had such a high placing at google and
    hopefully will again. I just hope it doesn't take too
    long for google to come back for a look again...

    But thanks for your reply. I didn't know about the
    cache thing!

    chlori

    chlori, Jun 4, 2004
  4. chlori

    PeterMcC Guest

    chlori wrote in
    <>

    > PeterMcC schrieb am 04.06.2004 17:49:
    >> Have you recently put this site up?

    > Yes, some weeks or months ago.
    >
    >> If so, you're at the stage where Google has identified the site but
    >> doesn't yet have a cached version of the page, nor does the page
    >> have any PR. If that is the case, the answer is to have patience.

    > Ok, thanks. I'll wait... Didn't know about the cache.
    >
    >> [...] I'd be surprised, once Google's had a good look, if
    >> you get top ten placings

    > Well for a short list of very relevant keywords the
    > page was top 1.
    >
    >> - though I don't know which keywords you're
    >> targeting.

    > e.g. Regeltechnik, RF-Identifikation, Automation,
    > Blanke, Steuern
    >
    >> [...] use <h1> and <h2> headings that contain your search terms,

    > Maybe I don't understand you right, but that's IMO
    > exactly what I did:
    >
    > Look at e.g. http://blanke.ch/auto.php:
    > - <h1>Blanke</h1>
    > - <h2>Steuer - Mess - Regeltechnik</h2>
    > - <h1>Automation</h1>
    > - <h2>Steuer-Mess-Regeltechnik</h2>
    >
    >> use your search terms in the link text

    > That's what I have (in the menu and on home page):
    > - Automation
    > - RF-Identifikation
    >
    >> use the search terms in the page title,

    > I have done exactly that
    > - <title>Blanke Automation</title>
    > - <title>Blanke RF-Identifikation</title>
    >
    >> image titles are sometimes useful but the text is
    >> not indexed by Google and can be removed,

    > Ok, they're useless for Google, but why remove them?
    >
    >> get in-bound links

    > Got some good ones a few days ago.
    >
    >> add more copy...

    > Sorry, don't know what you mean with this?
    >
    > So, if I understood you right, then I did exactly what
    > you said and what your links say. And that's the reason
    > why this site had such a high placing at google and
    > hopefully will again. I just hope it doesn't take too
    > long for google to come back for a look again...
    >
    > But thanks for your reply. I didn't know about the
    > cache thing!

    It often seems to go something like this - site gets initial visit by
    Google, site appears in index, site disapPears from index, site gets cached
    but not fully indexed and reappears in index without PR, site gets fully
    spidered, site gets PR, site gets to number 1, you become wealthy and retire
    to a life of luxury. (I may have made up the last few)

    Perhaps you already know, if you install the Google toolbar you have links
    to check Google's cache, your PR, Google's backlinks for your site...

    BTW, the advice on keywords was generic, I didn't know what your search
    terms were. You seem to have got the keywords in the crucial areas but my
    big concern would be that the site needs more text ("copy" - idiomatic).
    Google likes content-rich pages - lots of words, lots of appropriate use of
    your target terms.

    The suggestion about removing the title attribute was to reduce the
    "noise" - stuff that Google has to sift through but which adds nothing to
    its indexing of the page - it's also a bonus that you get when using css as
    you have, less noise in the html source.

    Best of luck.

    PeterMcC, Jun 4, 2004
  5. chlori

    chlori Guest

    PeterMcC schrieb am 04.06.2004 19:48:
    > my big concern would be that the site needs more text ("copy" - idiomatic).

    Ok, my client will be writing.

    > Google likes content-rich pages - lots of words,

    I read once that search engines only look at the first
    x kilobytes of a code. Is that not true?

    > The suggestion about removing the title attribute was to reduce the
    > "noise" - stuff that Google has to sift through but which adds nothing to
    > its indexing of the page - it's also a bonus that you get when using css as
    > you have, less noise in the html source.

    So you're saying that if I have one page with *a lot*
    of HTML (e.g. tables for layout) and another page with
    less code (CSS layout) but identical content, Google
    makes a difference and prefers the CSS version?

    Do you have an URL "proving" that? I had an argument
    about that lately but had no written proof, only things
    I've heard/read.

    chlori

    chlori, Jun 4, 2004
  6. chlori

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 17:25:26 +0200, chlori <> wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >I hope this isn't too off topic...
    >
    >A site I made could easily be found with Google on
    >Tuesday. Top ten, depending on the used key phrases.
    >
    >Wednesday morning the site couldn't be found at all and
    >then in the evening it was easily found again. Since
    >Thursday I can't find it at all anymore.
    >
    >I hardly changed anything on the site, so I can't
    >imagine what went wrong...
    >
    >Can anyone help me here? How can I get back to Google?

    >TIA
    >chlori

    Wait. It may be a few days, weeks, or a couple of months. This is
    regular behaviour with Google.

    BB

    Big Bill, Jun 4, 2004
  7. chlori

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 19:21:36 +0200, chlori <> wrote:

    >PeterMcC schrieb am 04.06.2004 17:49:
    >> Have you recently put this site up?

    >Yes, some weeks or months ago.
    >
    >> If so, you're at the stage where Google has identified the site but doesn't
    >> yet have a cached version of the page, nor does the page have any PR. If
    >> that is the case, the answer is to have patience.

    >Ok, thanks. I'll wait... Didn't know about the cache.
    >
    >> [...] I'd be surprised, once Google's had a good look, if
    >> you get top ten placings

    >Well for a short list of very relevant keywords the
    >page was top 1.
    >
    >> - though I don't know which keywords you're
    >> targeting.

    >e.g. Regeltechnik, RF-Identifikation, Automation,
    >Blanke, Steuern
    >
    >> [...] use <h1> and <h2> headings that contain your search terms,

    >Maybe I don't understand you right, but that's IMO
    >exactly what I did:
    >
    >Look at e.g. http://blanke.ch/auto.php:
    >- <h1>Blanke</h1>
    >- <h2>Steuer - Mess - Regeltechnik</h2>
    >- <h1>Automation</h1>
    >- <h2>Steuer-Mess-Regeltechnik</h2>
    >
    >> use your search terms in the link text

    >That's what I have (in the menu and on home page):
    >- Automation
    >- RF-Identifikation
    >
    >> use the search terms in the page title,

    >I have done exactly that
    >- <title>Blanke Automation</title>
    >- <title>Blanke RF-Identifikation</title>
    >
    >> image titles are sometimes useful but the text is
    >> not indexed by Google and can be removed,

    >Ok, they're useless for Google, but why remove them?
    >
    >> get in-bound links

    >Got some good ones a few days ago.
    >
    >> add more copy...

    >Sorry, don't know what you mean with this?

    He means you need to schrieb a bit more. Engines like writings, they
    want lots of word on the page containing lots of keywords.

    >So, if I understood you right, then I did exactly what
    >you said and what your links say. And that's the reason
    >why this site had such a high placing at google and
    >hopefully will again. I just hope it doesn't take too
    >long for google to come back for a look again...

    It varies from site to site and no-one really knows why yet.

    BB

    Big Bill, Jun 4, 2004
  8. chlori

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:00:49 +0200, chlori <> wrote:

    >PeterMcC schrieb am 04.06.2004 19:48:
    >> my big concern would be that the site needs more text ("copy" - idiomatic).

    >Ok, my client will be writing.
    >
    >> Google likes content-rich pages - lots of words,

    >I read once that search engines only look at the first
    >x kilobytes of a code. Is that not true?
    >
    >> The suggestion about removing the title attribute was to reduce the
    >> "noise" - stuff that Google has to sift through but which adds nothing to
    >> its indexing of the page - it's also a bonus that you get when using css as
    >> you have, less noise in the html source.

    >So you're saying that if I have one page with *a lot*
    >of HTML (e.g. tables for layout) and another page with
    >less code (CSS layout) but identical content, Google
    >makes a difference and prefers the CSS version?
    >
    >Do you have an URL "proving" that? I had an argument
    >about that lately but had no written proof, only things
    >I've heard/read.
    >
    >chlori

    You want more text, less code.

    BB

    Big Bill, Jun 4, 2004
  9. chlori

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Big Bill <> wrote:

    > >So you're saying that if I have one page with *a lot*
    > >of HTML (e.g. tables for layout) and another page with
    > >less code (CSS layout) but identical content, Google
    > >makes a difference and prefers the CSS version?
    > >
    > >Do you have an URL "proving" that? I had an argument
    > >about that lately but had no written proof, only things
    > >I've heard/read.
    > >
    > >chlori

    > You want more text, less code.

    "Create a useful, information-rich site.."

    More text..

    "..and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content."

    Less, yet descriptive markup.

    <http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html>

    --
    Kris