site generated email

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Hugh Welford, Oct 16, 2006.

  1. Hugh Welford

    Hugh Welford Guest

    Hi - I run a small community site, which depends on members getting update
    emails, which are generated by cdo.message. We have 2 problems with this

    1. people change email without notifying - is there any way of verifying an
    address before sending?

    2. hotmail etc are very aggressive in their anti-spam defenses, and
    mis-interpret out innocent emails as spam and send them to the junk folder
    where they never get read. I know this is not the right place for a
    discussion on this, but I would be very grateful if someone could point me
    in the right direction to a solution to this problem. There must be a
    protocol - a right way - to get genuine emails delivered to the inbox - any
    one have a website address, personal experience, books etc - anything
    please that will set us in the right direction for a solution

    Thanks

    Hugh Welford
    Online Connect Ltd.

    Hugh Welford, Oct 16, 2006

  2. Hugh Welford

    Mike Brind Guest

    "Hugh Welford" <> wrote in message
    > Hi - I run a small community site, which depends on members getting update
    > emails, which are generated by cdo.message. We have 2 problems with this
    >
    > 1. people change email without notifying - is there any way of verifying
    > an address before sending?

    There are tools that purport to do this. I've tried one from hexillion
    (http://hexillion.com/) with some success. But not enough to get me to buy
    it.

    > 2. hotmail etc are very aggressive in their anti-spam defenses, and
    > mis-interpret out innocent emails as spam and send them to the junk folder
    > where they never get read. I know this is not the right place for a
    > discussion on this, but I would be very grateful if someone could point me
    > in the right direction to a solution to this problem. There must be a
    > protocol - a right way - to get genuine emails delivered to the inbox -
    > any one have a website address, personal experience, books etc - anything
    > please that will set us in the right direction for a solution

    The only way to get past the hotmail defence is to get recipients to add the
    email address in your from field to their contacts list. Same with most
    other spam filters. You need to get added to the whitelist. This is the
    only "protocol" I know of that works.

    --
    Mike Brind

    Mike Brind, Oct 16, 2006

  3. Hugh wrote on Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:34:12 +0100:

    > 2. hotmail etc are very aggressive in their anti-spam defenses, and
    > mis-interpret out innocent emails as spam and send them to the junk folder
    > where they never get read. I know this is not the right place for a
    > discussion on this, but I would be very grateful if someone could point me
    > in the right direction to a solution to this problem. There must be a
    > protocol - a right way - to get genuine emails delivered to the inbox -
    > any one have a website address, personal experience, books etc - anything
    > please that will set us in the right direction for a solution

    If there was a way, don't you think the spammers would be using it to bypass
    the spam filtering on Hotmail?

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Oct 16, 2006