    footer and side panel in it?

    Can some one shed some light on this.

    James.
    James Smith, Aug 10, 2004

  2. James Smith

    RobM Guest

    "James Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:4118b06d$0$16886$...
    > I'm trying to get into CSS and design sites with it.
    >
    > I'm told I should use CSS for the layout and not HTML Table
    > (understandable).
    >
    > Is there a way to make a template and call every page inside of this? or
    > does every file I create have to have all the info for the header,
    > footer and side panel in it?
    >
    > Can some one shed some light on this.
    >
    > James.

    James - have a search of this newsgroup for "SSI" and also checkout the
    thread "The actual limitations and uses of HTML frames" round about
    24/07/2004. Basically have it once but include it at runtime on the server.

    Cheers
    RobM, Aug 10, 2004

  3. James Smith

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "RobM" <> wrote in

    > "James Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to get into CSS and design sites with it.
    >>
    >> I'm told I should use CSS for the layout and not HTML Table
    >> (understandable).
    >>
    >> Is there a way to make a template and call every page inside of this?
    >> or does every file I create have to have all the info for the header,
    >> footer and side panel in it?
    >>
    >> Can some one shed some light on this.
    >>
    >> James.

    > James - have a search of this newsgroup for "SSI" and also checkout
    > the thread "The actual limitations and uses of HTML frames" round
    > about 24/07/2004. Basically have it once but include it at runtime on
    > the server.

    If you can't use server-side includes, you can also have a run at pre-
    processing, the first section below:

    <http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another>

    --
    In a room with thirty-seven people, never have everybody shake each
    other's hand.
    Sam Hughes, Aug 10, 2004
  4. James Smith

    James Smith Guest

    Sam Hughes wrote:

    >"RobM" <> wrote in
    >

    >>"James Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>I'm trying to get into CSS and design sites with it.
    >>>
    >>>I'm told I should use CSS for the layout and not HTML Table
    >>>(understandable).
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way to make a template and call every page inside of this?
    >>>or does every file I create have to have all the info for the header,
    >>>footer and side panel in it?
    >>>
    >>>Can some one shed some light on this.
    >>>
    >>>James.
    >>>

    >>James - have a search of this newsgroup for "SSI" and also checkout
    >>the thread "The actual limitations and uses of HTML frames" round
    >>about 24/07/2004. Basically have it once but include it at runtime on
    >>the server.
    >>

    >If you can't use server-side includes, you can also have a run at pre-
    >processing, the first section below:
    >
    ><http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Include_one_file_in_another>

    Atm I'm useing php to do this, just wasn't sure if CSS had something
    built in to do this.

    James.
    James Smith, Aug 11, 2004
  5. James Smith

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:03:44 +1000, James Smith
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Atm I'm useing php to do this, just wasn't sure if CSS had something
    > built in to do this.

    No[1]. CSS is about presentation, not content.

    [1] Well, OK - you could probably do it using the content property[2],
    but Opera is the only browser that really supports it properly (Toby has
    a couple of examples), and really it defeats the purpose of CSS -
    separating the content from the presentation.

    [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#content

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Aug 11, 2004
  6. James Smith

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:02:10 +0100, Spartanicus <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Note that current CSS specs limit the usage to the :before and :after
    > pseudo elements, Mozilla supports this.
    >
    > Opera 7 allows it without the :before and :after pseudo elements, it's
    > however inappropriate to refer to this as "proper".

    Fair enough. I've never really looked into it that closely. I just
    remembered that Toby's examples only worked in Opera.

    >>and really it defeats the purpose of CSS -
    >>separating the content from the presentation.

    > Depends on how it's used.

    True, but in the case of the OP (including a "header, footer and side
    panel" on every page), my statement above certainly applies. :)

    Mark Parnell, Aug 11, 2004
  7. James Smith

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus, Aug 11, 2004
  8. James Smith

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:
    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    >> [1] Well, OK - you could probably do it using the content property[2],
    >> but Opera is the only browser that really supports it properly

    > Note that current CSS specs limit the usage to the :before and :after
    > pseudo elements, Mozilla supports this.

    And also to elements with 'display:marker', which Mozilla doesn't support
    IIRC.

    > Opera 7 allows it without the :before and :after pseudo elements, it's
    > however inappropriate to refer to this as "proper".

    And CSS 3 drafts allow 'content' to be specified for any element (pseudo
    or real). Opera is just a little ahead of the game. (Mozilla also supports
    various bits of CSS 3 -- just different bits.)

    My "100% CSS Design" examples:

    1. http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/100percent-css-design/total.css
    (Opera and Gecko only.)

    2. http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/100percent-css-design/total2
    (Gecko only. Very cool. Look at the source code.)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Aug 11, 2004
  9. James Smith

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    >> Opera 7 allows it without the :before and :after pseudo elements, it's
    >> however inappropriate to refer to this as "proper".

    >And CSS 3 drafts allow 'content' to be specified for any element (pseudo
    >or real). Opera is just a little ahead of the game.

    Some CSS3 modules are nearing completion with REC status predicted for
    Nov 04, the generated content module is not one of them, it's only at
    first working draft status.

    *If* Opera's implementation of the content property is modeled on the
    CSS3 WD then it's rather premature.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Aug 11, 2004
  10. James Smith

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:

    > Some CSS3 modules are nearing completion with REC status predicted for
    > Nov 04, the generated content module is not one of them, it's only at
    > first working draft status.
    >
    > *If* Opera's implementation of the content property is modeled on the
    > CSS3 WD then it's rather premature.

    The Generated Content module is being edited by an Opera employee though,
    so I guess they have some idea of where it's going. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./moloko_-_the_time_is_now.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Aug 11, 2004