Site Layout CSS

James Smith

I'm trying to get into CSS and design sites with it.

I'm told I should use CSS for the layout and not HTML Table
(understandable).

Is there a way to make a template and call every page inside of this? or
does every file I create have to have all the info for the header,
footer and side panel in it?

Can some one shed some light on this.

James.

RobM

James Smith said:
I'm trying to get into CSS and design sites with it.

I'm told I should use CSS for the layout and not HTML Table
(understandable).

Is there a way to make a template and call every page inside of this? or
does every file I create have to have all the info for the header,
footer and side panel in it?

Can some one shed some light on this.

James.

James - have a search of this newsgroup for "SSI" and also checkout the
thread "The actual limitations and uses of HTML frames" round about
24/07/2004. Basically have it once but include it at runtime on the server.

Cheers

Mark Parnell

Atm I'm useing php to do this, just wasn't sure if CSS had something
built in to do this.

No[1]. CSS is about presentation, not content.

[1] Well, OK - you could probably do it using the content property[2],
but Opera is the only browser that really supports it properly (Toby has
a couple of examples), and really it defeats the purpose of CSS -
separating the content from the presentation.

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#content

Mark Parnell

Note that current CSS specs limit the usage to the :before and :after
pseudo elements, Mozilla supports this.

Opera 7 allows it without the :before and :after pseudo elements, it's
however inappropriate to refer to this as "proper".

Fair enough. I've never really looked into it that closely. I just
remembered that Toby's examples only worked in Opera.
Depends on how it's used.

True, but in the case of the OP (including a "header, footer and side
panel" on every page), my statement above certainly applies. :)

Spartanicus

Mark Parnell said:
[1] Well, OK - you could probably do it using the content property[2],
but Opera is the only browser that really supports it properly

Note that current CSS specs limit the usage to the :before and :after
pseudo elements, Mozilla supports this.

Opera 7 allows it without the :before and :after pseudo elements, it's
however inappropriate to refer to this as "proper".
and really it defeats the purpose of CSS -
separating the content from the presentation.

Depends on how it's used.

Toby Inkster

Spartanicus said:
Mark said:
[1] Well, OK - you could probably do it using the content property[2],
but Opera is the only browser that really supports it properly

Note that current CSS specs limit the usage to the :before and :after
pseudo elements, Mozilla supports this.

And also to elements with 'display:marker', which Mozilla doesn't support
IIRC.
Opera 7 allows it without the :before and :after pseudo elements, it's
however inappropriate to refer to this as "proper".

And CSS 3 drafts allow 'content' to be specified for any element (pseudo
or real). Opera is just a little ahead of the game. (Mozilla also supports
various bits of CSS 3 -- just different bits.)

My "100% CSS Design" examples:

1. http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/100percent-css-design/total.css
(Opera and Gecko only.)

2. http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/100percent-css-design/total2
(Gecko only. Very cool. Look at the source code.)

Spartanicus

Toby Inkster said:
And CSS 3 drafts allow 'content' to be specified for any element (pseudo
or real). Opera is just a little ahead of the game.

Some CSS3 modules are nearing completion with REC status predicted for
Nov 04, the generated content module is not one of them, it's only at
first working draft status.

*If* Opera's implementation of the content property is modeled on the
CSS3 WD then it's rather premature.

Toby Inkster

Spartanicus said:
Some CSS3 modules are nearing completion with REC status predicted for
Nov 04, the generated content module is not one of them, it's only at
first working draft status.

*If* Opera's implementation of the content property is modeled on the
CSS3 WD then it's rather premature.

The Generated Content module is being edited by an Opera employee though,
so I guess they have some idea of where it's going. :)