Site navigation question

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Griff, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Griff

    Griff Guest

    Completely new to technologies like CSS, but trying to learn fast....

    I've seen a few sites with "very sophisticated" navigation tools that
    provide menus that both drop down and expand horizontally...very similar to
    the menu tools we're used to in Windows applications.

    Anyhow, in an attempt to mimic this, I've looked at a web few sites and
    studied the source files. It appears that there are two schools of thought
    here.

    The first uses unordered lists and the second uses tables to hold the
    information. Both then use a combination of CSS and JavaScript to control
    the behaviour.

    Which really is the method of choice?

    Thanks

    Griff

    PS - not using ASP.NET (yet)
    Griff, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Griff

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:57:29 +0100, "Griff" <> wrote:

    >Completely new to technologies like CSS, but trying to learn fast....
    >
    >I've seen a few sites with "very sophisticated" navigation tools that
    >provide menus that both drop down and expand horizontally...very similar to
    >the menu tools we're used to in Windows applications.
    >
    >Anyhow, in an attempt to mimic this, I've looked at a web few sites and
    >studied the source files. It appears that there are two schools of thought
    >here.
    >
    >The first uses unordered lists and the second uses tables to hold the
    >information. Both then use a combination of CSS and JavaScript to control
    >the behaviour.
    >
    >Which really is the method of choice?

    As far as ASP goes, there's no difference. It's client-side
    presentation and code, so posting to the ASP group won't help you.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Griff

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Griff" <> writing
    in news:#:

    > Completely new to technologies like CSS, but trying to learn fast....
    >
    > I've seen a few sites with "very sophisticated" navigation tools that
    > provide menus that both drop down and expand horizontally...very
    > similar to the menu tools we're used to in Windows applications.
    >
    > Anyhow, in an attempt to mimic this, I've looked at a web few sites and
    > studied the source files. It appears that there are two schools of
    > thought here.
    >
    > The first uses unordered lists and the second uses tables to hold the
    > information. Both then use a combination of CSS and JavaScript to
    > control the behaviour.
    >
    > Which really is the method of choice?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Griff
    >
    > PS - not using ASP.NET (yet)

    Followups set to css group.

    Tables are for tabular data, rows and columns, not for layout. Navigation
    is usually a list of links, so an unordered list would be a better choice.
    An unordered list is also better for screen readers and for debugging
    purposes. It's also easier to style.

    For example:
    <ul>
    </ul>
    <h1>Page Title</h1>

    CSS:
    #nav ul {list-style-type: none}
    #nav li {width:100px; height:50px}
    #nav a {display:block}
    #nav a:link, #nav a:visited {background-image:url("buttonoff.gif");}
    #nav a:hover, #nav a:focus, #nav a:active {background-image: url
    ("buttonon.gif");}
    ..skipnav {left: -100em;}
    --
    Adrienne Boswell