    page) which is present on some pages and not others. You will notice it just
    down from the menu (a space of about 3 pixels). The code on both pages looks
    identical, and im stuck. Many thanks for reading.
    Steve Macleod, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Steve Macleod schrieb:

    > http://www.stevemacleod.co.uk/bluesbonanza/index.php
    >
    > Its in development, and rough in *alot* of places and my style sheet is
    > going to be touched up alot, but I was wondering if anyone would share their
    > initial impression of this website. Many thanks.

    Well, it's rough in a lot of places, particularly the first heading:
    "Now in it's Tenth Year!" should be "Now in its Tenth Year!". Other than
    that, nice blue color scheme.

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Steve Macleod

    Steve R. Guest

    Steve R., Feb 21, 2004
  4. Thats a good point, actually.

    From this moment on, I will never do it again.

    Im glad someone pointed it out.

    Steve Macleod, Feb 21, 2004
  5. Steve Macleod

    Whitecrest Guest

    Whitecrest, Feb 21, 2004
  6. Steve Macleod

    RepAlciere Guest

    It looks a lot better than anything I could produce, but that's not saying
    much.

    Tom Alciere
    RepAlciere, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Steve Macleod

    Sharon Guest

    "Steve Macleod" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.stevemacleod.co.uk/bluesbonanza/index.php
    > Its in development, and rough in *alot* <snip>

    I don't see anything 'rough'. It is a nice website. You may want to do a
    rollover technique for the tab links at the top. Try changing the 'vote'
    button to either white or orange lettering. That black does not show up
    well to these old eyes. I am assuming that your Home link (first page) is
    actually going to have a link behind it and is going to be included on all
    pages? Since you are using tables throughout, you may want to use table
    width percentages to make the page a full page in any window size.

    I am a Jazz freak first, blues second, bluegrass third. This sounds like a
    great event!
    --
    Take Care, Sharon Lane
    http://www.rare-cancer.org
    Sharon, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Steve Macleod

    m Guest

    Sharon wrote:
    > Since you are using tables throughout, you may want to use table
    > width percentages to make the page a full page in any window size.

    Yes, visitors browse in with varied font sizes
    on consoles of different sizes, using all sizes of windows.

    Here is a useful test:
    One should be able to grab the bottom right corner of the window with
    the mouse and resize it through a range from very wide to very narrow.

    No horizontal scroll bar should appear at any stop.

    The text should rearrange itself within all the window sizes.

    You should be able to resize the font size in the window
    and do the window resizing test again, successfully.

    You can still use tables
    (if you *must*),
    but widths really should be set with '%' (percentages).
    Example: width="200px" --bad
    width="18%" -- good.
    --
    cheers m mbstevens.com
    m, Feb 22, 2004
  9. In article <Y5PZb.4840$>,
    "Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Steve Macleod wrote in message ...
    > > Site Opinions wanted
    > > http://www.stevemacleod.co.uk/bluesbonanza/index.php

    > Just a *little* niggle whenever I see it.
    >
    > FAQ means "Frequently Asked Questions"
    >
    > so ...
    >
    > FAQs is just not right :~(

    Actually FAQ can mean literally 'Frequently Asked Questions' or it can
    refer to a document collecting those questions. In the latter case, it
    makes sense to pluralize the acronym. FAQ's or FAQs is fine.

    --
    | Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
    | "SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it |
    Andrew Glasgow, Feb 22, 2004
  10. Steve Macleod

    Cameron Guest

    Andrew Glasgow wrote:
    > In article <Y5PZb.4840$>,
    > "Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Steve Macleod wrote in message ...
    >>
    >>>Site Opinions wanted
    >>>http://www.stevemacleod.co.uk/bluesbonanza/index.php

    >>Just a *little* niggle whenever I see it.
    >>
    >>FAQ means "Frequently Asked Questions"
    >>
    >>so ...
    >>
    >>FAQs is just not right :~(
    >>

    > Actually FAQ can mean literally 'Frequently Asked Questions' or it can
    > refer to a document collecting those questions. In the latter case, it
    > makes sense to pluralize the acronym. FAQ's or FAQs is fine.

    Saying that most sites just make them up, I use Q&A (Questions and
    Answers) myself, that or I once put as a title

    Frequently Asked Questions (Or I may have just made them up)

    ~Cameron
    Cameron, Feb 22, 2004
  11. While the city slept, Steve R. <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com>
    feverishly typed:

    > Steve Macleod wrote in message ...
    >> Site Opinions wanted
    >> http://www.stevemacleod.co.uk/bluesbonanza/index.php

    > Just a *little* niggle whenever I see it.
    >
    > FAQ means "Frequently Asked Questions"
    >
    > so ...
    >
    > FAQs is just not right :~(

    Maybe it's a Gollum thing? "Frequently Asked Questionses" ;-)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Feb 22, 2004
  12. Steve Macleod, Feb 22, 2004
  13. Thanks for your feedback.

    Its very intertesting to me because its relevant to the kind of demographic
    im designing the site for. The style sheet has not be perfected at all yet,
    and I will be sorting all the colours pretty soon. In the mean time is there
    any other parts that are hard to read?

    Steve Macleod, Feb 22, 2004
  14. Steve Macleod

    Paul Furman Guest

    m wrote:

    > No horizontal scroll bar should appear at any stop.
    >
    > The text should rearrange itself within all the window sizes.
    >
    > You should be able to resize the font size in the window
    > and do the window resizing test again, successfully.
    >
    > You can still use tables
    > (if you *must*),
    > but widths really should be set with '%' (percentages).
    > Example: width="200px" --bad
    > width="18%" -- good.

    I see the menu is set up as an image map on the full width banner. If
    you could figure out a way to break that up so the menu could tuck down
    a row in a narrower screen, it doesn't need to squeeze to tiny widths
    but would be better if it could squeeze more than that. Just put the two
    parts inline & they will wrap down when the window shrinks.
    Paul Furman, Feb 22, 2004
  15. Steve Macleod

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Matthias Gutfeldt" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Macleod schrieb:
    > >
    > > http://www.stevemacleod.co.uk/bluesbonanza/index.php
    > >

    > Well, it's rough in a lot of places, particularly the first heading:
    > "Now in it's Tenth Year!" should be "Now in its Tenth Year!". Other than
    > that, nice blue color scheme.

    and "sign up if you're not" as opposed to "your not".
    and "you must be signed in..." not "you must be sign in..."
    But I'm just picky.
    Alan D-W, Feb 22, 2004