Site problems

Lee Harris

Although I maintain this site, I had someone help me set it all up, and am
not sure what I've done wrong. I am in the process of changing the colours
and styles, well, that's what I will be doing when I figure something out -
one weird problem and one not so weird
http://www.bombersgolf.com/BLT2004/home.html
i) What is causing the text on the right hand pane to start so low down on
the page, ie, not aligned at the top of the page, even if I remove the green
banner "Updates 12th Nov", the stuff on the right stays where it is

ii) Why isn't the green banner stretching all the way across the main div,
I'm sure it used to

iii) how come when I visit the page, the text in the main div is not there
until I drag my mouse over it to reverse highlight it, and then if I click
away with mouse, it's there, almost like it's hidden until I drag select the
mouse over it ? (weird!)

thanks
Lee

Mark Parnell

http://www.bombersgolf.com/BLT2004/home.html
i) What is causing the text on the right hand pane to start so low down on
the page, ie, not aligned at the top of the page, even if I remove the green
banner "Updates 12th Nov", the stuff on the right stays where it is

For some reason, your styles aren't applied at all in Mozilla. Seems to
work fine in both Opera and IE. Weird.

The stuff on the right starts where it is because that's where you told
it to. The image is 150px high, the right hand column is absolutely
positioned to start at 200px from the top. Therefore there is a 50px
(possbily plus margin/padding) gap between the bottom of the image and
the top of the text.
ii) Why isn't the green banner stretching all the way across the main div,
I'm sure it used to

It is here.
iii) how come when I visit the page, the text in the main div is not there
until I drag my mouse over it to reverse highlight it, and then if I click
away with mouse, it's there, almost like it's hidden until I drag select the
mouse over it ? (weird!)

I can see it fine here, in IE, Opera and Mozilla (though without styles
in Mozilla as I said above).

If you are using IE, it may be this:
http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

You have a couple of errors in your HTML, and a number of errors in your
CSS. Fix them first.

HTH

Disco Octopus

in Lee Harris typed:
Although I maintain this site, I had someone help me set it all up,
and am not sure what I've done wrong. I am in the process of changing
the colours and styles, well, that's what I will be doing when I
figure something out - one weird problem and one not so weird
http://www.bombersgolf.com/BLT2004/home.html
i) What is causing the text on the right hand pane to start so low
down on the page, ie, not aligned at the top of the page, even if I
remove the green banner "Updates 12th Nov", the stuff on the right
stays where it is

line 53 of style1.css says to put it at top 200px; and line 56 say put
padding-top at 50px;

ii) Why isn't the green banner stretching all the way across the main
div, I'm sure it used to

look at loine 45 in style1.css and perhaps take the <div id="strip2">
outside the <div id="body">

iii) how come when I visit the page, the text in the main div is not
there until I drag my mouse over it to reverse highlight it, and then
if I click away with mouse, it's there, almost like it's hidden until
I drag select the mouse over it ? (weird!)

the drugs in your top drawer have started to kick in. wait a couple of
hours, and the text will appear.

Daniel Ruscoe

Lee said:
i) What is causing the text on the right hand pane to start so low down on
the page, ie, not aligned at the top of the page, even if I remove the green
banner "Updates 12th Nov", the stuff on the right stays where it is

It's positioned absolutely. You need to change it's distance from the
top, in pixels, in your style sheet. I take it somebody else did the CSS
for you? I've cleaned it up a bit.

You'd be better off using 'float' for two columns. I've left the
absolute positioning in there so you can see why. Make your browser
window smaller until the right column overlaps the left. That's a
problem easily fixed by using relative positioning.

You could ask whoever did the CSS to change it, or do it yourself. This
will help:

http://glish.com/css/9.asp
ii) Why isn't the green banner stretching all the way across the main div,
I'm sure it used to

Is this what you were aiming for?

http://www.dualstone.co.uk/stuff/bombers/home.html

Style sheet:

http://www.dualstone.co.uk/stuff/bombers/style100.css
iii) how come when I visit the page, the text in the main div is not there
until I drag my mouse over it to reverse highlight it,

I noticed this in IE6, but not Opera 7.23 (a real browser). I'm not sure
what's causing it. Maybe someone else has spotted this before?

Lee Harris

You have a couple of errors in your HTML, and a number of errors in your
CSS. Fix them first.

HTH

thanks, where can I find out what those errors are?

Lee Harris

--

yes, thanks, that looks great, I think it might be this peekaboo bug that
people have been telling me about