Site problems

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Lee Harris, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Lee Harris

    Lee Harris Guest

    Although I maintain this site, I had someone help me set it all up, and am
    not sure what I've done wrong. I am in the process of changing the colours
    and styles, well, that's what I will be doing when I figure something out -
    one weird problem and one not so weird
    http://www.bombersgolf.com/BLT2004/home.html
    i) What is causing the text on the right hand pane to start so low down on
    the page, ie, not aligned at the top of the page, even if I remove the green
    banner "Updates 12th Nov", the stuff on the right stays where it is

    ii) Why isn't the green banner stretching all the way across the main div,
    I'm sure it used to

    iii) how come when I visit the page, the text in the main div is not there
    until I drag my mouse over it to reverse highlight it, and then if I click
    away with mouse, it's there, almost like it's hidden until I drag select the
    mouse over it ? (weird!)

    thanks
    Lee

    Lee Harris, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Lee Harris

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 00:13:43 -0000, Lee Harris declared in alt.html:

    > http://www.bombersgolf.com/BLT2004/home.html
    > i) What is causing the text on the right hand pane to start so low down on
    > the page, ie, not aligned at the top of the page, even if I remove the green
    > banner "Updates 12th Nov", the stuff on the right stays where it is

    For some reason, your styles aren't applied at all in Mozilla. Seems to
    work fine in both Opera and IE. Weird.

    The stuff on the right starts where it is because that's where you told
    it to. The image is 150px high, the right hand column is absolutely
    positioned to start at 200px from the top. Therefore there is a 50px
    (possbily plus margin/padding) gap between the bottom of the image and
    the top of the text.

    > ii) Why isn't the green banner stretching all the way across the main div,
    > I'm sure it used to

    It is here.

    > iii) how come when I visit the page, the text in the main div is not there
    > until I drag my mouse over it to reverse highlight it, and then if I click
    > away with mouse, it's there, almost like it's hidden until I drag select the
    > mouse over it ? (weird!)

    I can see it fine here, in IE, Opera and Mozilla (though without styles
    in Mozilla as I said above).

    If you are using IE, it may be this:
    http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/peekaboo.html

    You have a couple of errors in your HTML, and a number of errors in your
    CSS. Fix them first.

    HTH

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jan 9, 2004

  3. in news:YmmLb.497$,
    Lee Harris typed:
    > Although I maintain this site, I had someone help me set it all up,
    > and am not sure what I've done wrong. I am in the process of changing
    > the colours and styles, well, that's what I will be doing when I
    > figure something out - one weird problem and one not so weird
    > http://www.bombersgolf.com/BLT2004/home.html
    > i) What is causing the text on the right hand pane to start so low
    > down on the page, ie, not aligned at the top of the page, even if I
    > remove the green banner "Updates 12th Nov", the stuff on the right
    > stays where it is

    line 53 of style1.css says to put it at top 200px; and line 56 say put
    padding-top at 50px;

    > ii) Why isn't the green banner stretching all the way across the main
    > div, I'm sure it used to

    look at loine 45 in style1.css and perhaps take the <div id="strip2">
    outside the <div id="body">

    > iii) how come when I visit the page, the text in the main div is not
    > there until I drag my mouse over it to reverse highlight it, and then
    > if I click away with mouse, it's there, almost like it's hidden until
    > I drag select the mouse over it ? (weird!)

    the drugs in your top drawer have started to kick in. wait a couple of
    hours, and the text will appear.

    Disco Octopus, Jan 9, 2004
  4. In article <YmmLb.497$>, Lee
    Harris says...

    > http://www.bombersgolf.com/BLT2004/home.html

    > i) What is causing the text on the right hand pane to start so low down on
    > the page, ie, not aligned at the top of the page, even if I remove the green
    > banner "Updates 12th Nov", the stuff on the right stays where it is

    It's positioned absolutely. You need to change it's distance from the
    top, in pixels, in your style sheet. I take it somebody else did the CSS
    for you? I've cleaned it up a bit.

    You'd be better off using 'float' for two columns. I've left the
    absolute positioning in there so you can see why. Make your browser
    window smaller until the right column overlaps the left. That's a
    problem easily fixed by using relative positioning.

    You could ask whoever did the CSS to change it, or do it yourself. This
    will help:

    http://glish.com/css/9.asp

    > ii) Why isn't the green banner stretching all the way across the main div,
    > I'm sure it used to

    Is this what you were aiming for?

    http://www.dualstone.co.uk/stuff/bombers/home.html

    Style sheet:

    http://www.dualstone.co.uk/stuff/bombers/style100.css

    > iii) how come when I visit the page, the text in the main div is not there
    > until I drag my mouse over it to reverse highlight it,

    I noticed this in IE6, but not Opera 7.23 (a real browser). I'm not sure
    what's causing it. Maybe someone else has spotted this before?

    --
    Daniel Ruscoe
    http://www.dualstone.co.uk

    Daniel Ruscoe, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Lee Harris

    Lee Harris Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 00:13:43 -0000, Lee Harris declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > http://www.bombersgolf.com/BLT2004/home.html

    > You have a couple of errors in your HTML, and a number of errors in your
    > CSS. Fix them first.
    >
    > HTH

    thanks, where can I find out what those errors are?

    Lee Harris, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Lee Harris

    Lee Harris Guest

    "Daniel Ruscoe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <YmmLb.497$>, Lee
    > Harris says...
    >
    > > http://www.bombersgolf.com/BLT2004/home.html

    > > i) What is causing the text on the right hand pane to start so low down

    on
    > > the page, ie, not aligned at the top of the page, even if I remove the

    green
    > > banner "Updates 12th Nov", the stuff on the right stays where it is

    > It's positioned absolutely. You need to change it's distance from the
    > top, in pixels, in your style sheet. I take it somebody else did the CSS
    > for you? I've cleaned it up a bit.
    >
    > You'd be better off using 'float' for two columns. I've left the
    > absolute positioning in there so you can see why. Make your browser
    > window smaller until the right column overlaps the left. That's a
    > problem easily fixed by using relative positioning.
    >
    > You could ask whoever did the CSS to change it, or do it yourself. This
    > will help:
    >
    > http://glish.com/css/9.asp
    >
    > > ii) Why isn't the green banner stretching all the way across the main

    div,
    > > I'm sure it used to

    > Is this what you were aiming for?
    >
    > http://www.dualstone.co.uk/stuff/bombers/home.html
    >
    > Style sheet:
    >
    > http://www.dualstone.co.uk/stuff/bombers/style100.css
    >
    > > iii) how come when I visit the page, the text in the main div is not

    there
    > > until I drag my mouse over it to reverse highlight it,

    > I noticed this in IE6, but not Opera 7.23 (a real browser). I'm not sure
    > what's causing it. Maybe someone else has spotted this before?
    >
    > --

    yes, thanks, that looks great, I think it might be this peekaboo bug that
    people have been telling me about

    Lee Harris, Jan 9, 2004
  7. William Tasso, Jan 9, 2004