Site Publishing Stopped Working!

Mark Olbert

I was able to publish my first ASPNET2 site to my hosting server earlier today without any problems. I gave it the name of
subdirectory that would hold the site, entered my ftp password (even though I told it to upload it to http://www.mysite...), hit
okay and away it went.

Now all of a sudden it isn't working. When I try to upload, I do everything exactly the same and yet the password gets rejected.

I've tried deleting the entire subdirectory from the hosting site using an ftp client. The upload still doesn't work.

Can anyone suggest a solution? I'm getting desperate.

Oh: and can someone please tell Microsoft that it would be EXTREMELY helpful if, when something doesn't work, SOME INFORMATION ABOUT
THE FAILURE WAS PROVIDED.

- Mark

Mark Olbert

I should also mention that I can upload the project to the root of the site. So publishing to:

http://www.arcabama.com

works, but publishing to

http://www.arcabama.com/boardng

doesn't work now, but did before, even though I've deleted the entire boardng subdirectory. Is there some kind of virtual directory
still floating around in the site or something that's conflicting with the latest attempt to publish?

- Mark

Lloyd Dupont

what about contacting your website provider?
they are the most likely candidate for creating/finding/fixing this kind of
problem...
(Microsoft is way behind in this case!)

--
Regards,
Lloyd Dupont

NovaMind development team
NovaMind Software
Mind Mapping Software
<www.nova-mind.com>

Mark Olbert

Actually, it turned out to be a problem with IIS. At least, I consider it to be a problem.

Basically, if you upload a website to your server, the subdirectory that holds the site gets marked as an IIS application. That's
fine.

But if the subdirectory is deleted through a file system tool for some reason (like I did in the course of trying to resolve an
issue I ran into), IIS isn't made aware of the deletion. So it thinks that subdirectory is still out there.

Then, when you try to re-publish the website, you're blocked because IIS won't allow it. But when you look at the site directory
using a file system tool (e.g., ftp), you won't find the subdirectory. And, since the VS2005 publishing process is too stupid to
tell you >>why<< the publish failed you'll be left scratching your head. Or pulling your hair.

IMHO, there needs to be better/tighter linkage between IIS and the file system. Why there isn't when both are MS products (the
server runs MS server software) is bizarre.

- Mark