Site Skinning

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by damiensawyer@yahoo.com.au, May 21, 2008.

    I'm currently in the planning stages for a reasonably large commercial
    site using framework 3.5. One of the requirements is that the
    application be rebadged under multiple company names with different
    designs/graphics, URLs, 'altered funtionality' etc.

    After a bit of thinking, I've come up with an idea but I'd like to get
    opinions on it before proceeding. This project is very much commercial
    grade and needs to be highly scalable - so, if something I'm thinking
    of doing is not best-practice please let me know!

    1/ Use pure CSS as opposed to themes/skins. When I look at
    http://www.csszengarden.com, I can see that there's enough power in
    CSS to achieve the look and feel differences. I've read a few threads
    on CSS v Themes and see that it's a bit of a contentious issue,
    however think that CSS should be able to do the job with the least
    effort.

    2/ Have a different CSS file for each company/URL then use HTTP
    handlers to intercept calls for *.css and programatically return the
    desired sheet. One (newbie!) question that I have here - Is it an
    easy matter to set up IIS / Server 2008 to serve the same web
    application simultaneously to multiple (potentially many) URLs and
    identify the active address in a HTTP handler?

    Also - if there's any books/articles on this topic that people can
    recommend, I'm all ears.

    Thanks very much in advance,

    Damien

    , May 21, 2008

  2. gerry Guest

    use themes that only use .css files - you don't have to use skins just
    because you are using themes.

    this allows you to just set the theme with no need to mess with custom
    handlers etc.

    gerry, May 21, 2008