    I know these numbers mean there are problems on the site, and like to
    learn how to improve it.

    Thanks.
    Dung Ping, Apr 28, 2006

  2. Dung Ping

    Jim Moe Guest

    Dung Ping wrote:
    > The statistics of my site is in the following page:
    >
    > http://www.pinyinology.com/stat.html
    >
    > I am quite concerned with the "Hits by Response Code", because of the
    > following numbers:
    >
    > Code 304 - Not Modified: 1859

    Nothing wrong with this. It just means that the web server did not send
    the page because it has not changed since the last request.

    > Code 403 - Forbidden: 1042

    Check your web server's error logs for these. It could just be search
    robots recursing into areas that do not allow access. Or hackers doing a
    similar thing.
    See <http://www.searchtools.com/robots/> for a method to reduce the
    error count.

    > Code 404 - Not Found: 2231

    Check your web server's error logs for these. Internet Explorer is the
    main contributor to those errors at our site:

    [Mon ...] [error] [client xxx] File does not exist: /var/www/html/formfiles//

    Note the double trailing slashes. The error log is full of this shit.
    IE is probing for a Frontpage extension and the probe generates the
    error. It does so only on certain file types, fortunately.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)
    Jim Moe, Apr 28, 2006

  3. Dung Ping

    Dung Ping Guest

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Dung Ping wrote:
    > > The statistics of my site is in the following page:
    > >
    > > http://www.pinyinology.com/stat.html
    > >
    > > I am quite concerned with the "Hits by Response Code", because of the
    > > following numbers:
    > >
    > > Code 304 - Not Modified: 1859
    > >

    > Nothing wrong with this. It just means that the web server did not send
    > the page because it has not changed since the last request.
    >
    > > Code 403 - Forbidden: 1042
    > >

    > Check your web server's error logs for these. It could just be search
    > robots recursing into areas that do not allow access. Or hackers doing a
    > similar thing.
    > See <http://www.searchtools.com/robots/> for a method to reduce the
    > error count.
    >
    > > Code 404 - Not Found: 2231
    > >

    > Check your web server's error logs for these. Internet Explorer is the
    > main contributor to those errors at our site:
    >
    > [Mon ...] [error] [client xxx] File does not exist: /var/www/html/formfiles//
    >
    > Note the double trailing slashes. The error log is full of this shit.
    > IE is probing for a Frontpage extension and the probe generates the
    > error. It does so only on certain file types, fortunately.
    >
    > --
    > jmm (hyphen) list (at) sohnen-moe (dot) com
    > (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Thanks a lot for explanation.
    Dung Ping, Apr 28, 2006