Site Statistics

Dung Ping

The statistics of my site is in the following page:

http://www.pinyinology.com/stat.html

I am quite concerned with the "Hits by Response Code", because of the
following numbers:

Code 304 - Not Modified: 1859

Code 403 - Forbidden: 1042

Code 404 - Not Found: 2231

I know these numbers mean there are problems on the site, and like to
learn how to improve it.

Thanks.

Jim Moe

Dung said:
The statistics of my site is in the following page:

http://www.pinyinology.com/stat.html

I am quite concerned with the "Hits by Response Code", because of the
following numbers:

Code 304 - Not Modified: 1859
Nothing wrong with this. It just means that the web server did not send
the page because it has not changed since the last request.
Code 403 - Forbidden: 1042
Check your web server's error logs for these. It could just be search
robots recursing into areas that do not allow access. Or hackers doing a
similar thing.
Code 404 - Not Found: 2231
Check your web server's error logs for these. Internet Explorer is the
main contributor to those errors at our site:

[Mon ...] [error] [client xxx] File does not exist: /var/www/html/formfiles//

Note the double trailing slashes. The error log is full of this shit.
IE is probing for a Frontpage extension and the probe generates the
error. It does so only on certain file types, fortunately.

Dung Ping

Jim said:
Dung said:
[...]

Thanks a lot for explanation.