Site won't compile unless DLL is in bin folder

APA

The problem is that there is no reference to the DLL anywhere in the solution. I have other developers running this identical solution with no
problems but on my machine it won't compile if I don't have this DLL in my website's bin folder. I recently formatted my hard drive and re-installed
XP Pro and it is still doing this, but only on my PC. This DLL is an OLD DLL that we used to use but was removed from the solution a year ago.

Any ideas on where this problem is coming from?

Patrice

Won't compile that is ?

My guess would be that you miss something else on your machine. If you miss
some type for proper compilation putting this old DLL in place would
(wrongly) solve the problem. On other machine they perhaps have the new DLL
that provide those types.

So if you don't need anyway this DLL I would start by removing it. Then
investigate on the compilation error message you have (for example if it
complains about a missing type see where this type is supposed to come from
and make sure to make it available to your application until it works).

Good luck.

Patrice

Lau Lei Cheong

Is your project "updated" completely from the version-control (like VSS)?
Have you "get latest version" for the whole project first(include the
project file itself)?
Has your staff checked-in the version of project file that have the
reference removed?

Anyway, I'll suggest you to remove the "JIT-ed assemblys" from
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\{version}\Temporary ASP.NET Files\{your web
path} folder as probably the DLL in question somehow have remains in that
folder. (You shouldn't need to do this, but just for sure.)

Also, check to see if the DLL is referenced in:
a) %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\{version}\CONFIG\machine.config
b) "web.config" of any parent folder of your web application.
by seraching for it's name in these files. If it exist but the web
application can't find one, it'll report missing assembly.