    anything that the .NET framework does which SiteMinder does not do?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    vcuankitdotnet, Mar 18, 2008

  2. vcuankitdotnet

    clintonG Guest

    * Membership is free
    * Membership is robust
    * Membership is well documented and blogged about all over the place
    * Membership can be extended if necessary
    * Membership control functionality can work in a light-weight implementation
    with a clickety-click

    I'm seriously curious, what features does SiteMinder really have that the
    framework classes do not provide anyway?

    clintonG, Mar 18, 2008

  3. Hello vcuankitdotnet,

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > We are currently under-going a new security service and the company is
    > leaning towards using SiteMinder. My question is: why not just use
    > the .NET membership and roles provider and create a custom provider
    > suitable to the business need? What else does SiteMinder do that
    > the .NET framework does not do to facilitate authentication and
    > authorization on .NET web applications? Most importantly, is there
    > anything that the .NET framework does which SiteMinder does not do?
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Even if they decide to use SiteMinder, why not write a provider that get's
    the values from SiteMinder and make sure you can easily switch between versions,
    other apps and futute business quircks.

    My guess the only feature which doesn't exist in the Membership system by
    default, which SiteMinder does allow for is SingleSignOn. It migth take somework,
    but in the end I think that you can make SiteMinder and Membership work together
    very tightly.

    --
    Jesse Houwing
    jesse.houwing at sogeti.nl

    Jesse Houwing, Mar 19, 2008
  4. I'm not an expert, but can't you configure IIS for single sign-on in
    your web application? I'm just failing to see why anyone would pay
    money to use SiteMinder as opposed to just spending a little bit of
    time and developing a custom membership provider?

    vcuankitdotnet, Mar 19, 2008