Sites about web-sites ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jasbird, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. Jasbird

    Jasbird Guest

    Hello,

    I'm not looking for sites about "web design". I'm looking for sites
    which discuss web-sites. In other words - rather than discussing the
    nitty gritty of code, html, css, javascript, etc., I'm looking for a
    web-site where people discuss things like
    - does the site achieve its "purpose".
    - how could that web-site be improved.

    For instance, I just registered with www.digg.com and right away I
    though of about 15 things I'd do to improve the site, such as:
    - a better more specific list of topic categories
    - allowing either html or bb code in comment responses,
    - etc.

    I fact I was so disappointed with digg that I thought I should
    immediately write a better version of it myself!

    So where do people discuss web-site functionality rather than "design" ?

    For instance I discovered:
    news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design, but no one seems to be
    discussing site-design there. It just seems to be full of spam.

    Jasbird, Sep 12, 2006

  2. Jasbird

    Mark Guest

    Jasbird wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm not looking for sites about "web design". I'm looking for sites
    > which discuss web-sites. In other words - rather than discussing the
    > nitty gritty of code, html, css, javascript, etc., I'm looking for a
    > web-site where people discuss things like
    > - does the site achieve its "purpose".
    > - how could that web-site be improved.
    >
    > For instance, I just registered with www.digg.com and right away I
    > though of about 15 things I'd do to improve the site, such as:
    > - a better more specific list of topic categories
    > - allowing either html or bb code in comment responses,
    > - etc.
    >
    > I fact I was so disappointed with digg that I thought I should
    > immediately write a better version of it myself!
    >
    > So where do people discuss web-site functionality rather than "design" ?
    >
    > For instance I discovered:
    > news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.site-design, but no one seems to be
    > discussing site-design there. It just seems to be full of spam.

    found this link awhile ago
    http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html
    it describes common problems with websites... mostly useability stuff.
    it's an interesting read.. i wouldn't take *everything* it says into
    consideration though, because..well..if you want a real easy to use
    site, you might have to make a few graphical sacrifices..whereas i'm
    more into the artsy goodness..geared towards younger generations
    anyways.

    Mark, Sep 28, 2006